Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Gunner banned

Options
  • 20-08-2007 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Hello,

one of the board members here got a perm-ban recently
    due to a thread on the After Hours board:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055134597

The User got into a heated debate which involved a Moderator
    (who I have nothing against) but I think things could of been
    handled in a little bit of a better way than the user in question
    getting a permanent ban from the boards.

Things were written and said clearly in the heat of the moment
    surely the boards can cater from some sort of cool down
    temp ban system to allow users to calm down.
    Without banning a user for life!

From reading the thread the Moderator and User exchanged
    some words and things got heated. The Moderator provoked
    the user with their comments, and the user responded with an insult and later
    probably foolishly and in anger a legal threat after personally getting
    offended. The moderator later admitted to being drunk while makeing
    the comment that provoked things.

While I dont know or have anything against the mod in question
    I don't think they should be moderating the boards or issuing warnings
    while drunk.

Said user has been a member of boards.ie for quite some time
    with well over 1000 posts and when he posts he posts about things he has quite a lot of knowledge and experience about
    and in my own opinion is a valued member
    to the boards that he frequents. I don't even agree with things
    the user says some of the time but don't think the man should be
    permi-banned over a simple mistake or a heated moment.

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance surely ?

Again I don't know the Mod and I honestly have nothing against
    him/her so I dont wish any ill feelings but they two of ye were rubbing each other up the wrong way and things should not have gone as far as they should.

~B
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The AH mod in question has no power to permaban anyone from boards.

Suggesting or threatening legal action against boards, however, is a permaban offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Hmm I do belive this board has already one libel action going against it...Like another one????
    Fúck off, you useless litigious piece of shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Agreed it's a permaban offense..

Though I thought only SMods and Admins had the permaban power.. when I first saw it on the ban list I thought it was an advert ban by CuLT..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Suggesting or threatening legal action against boardshowever, is a permaban offense.

I'm not trying to annoy anyone or get myself in trouble but....
    I honestly think that its Purely Not all Clare Gunners fault.
    This whole situation would or may not have happened if a Moderator of the boards.ie did not deliberately provoke the user.

Are the Moderators allowed to insult or provoke board members ?
    This is what happened. Moderator nothing happens to them
    but person provoked responds and gets banned. I don't think this is fair!

I simply dont think that a moderator on the board should be
    a contributing factor for someone to get offended or get insulted
    if anything they should be taking a neutral stance on threads
    and not getting personal with people.

Whats to stop a moderator while drunk (or even not being drunk)
    from provoking me into making a comment that results in me
    getting banned ? I should know better but so should the mod by
    making the comment in the first place.

~B

bullets wrote:
    I personally don't think anyone with an ounce of sense would threaten boards.ie with legal action for any reason.

BTW, I'm very drunk right now but I'm not using that as an excuse, as I would post the same were I sober... but I'm not a fúcking idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Any solicitor would tell you to cut off all contact.

Threaten legal action? Get a solicitor to do the rest of the talking, because you sure as hell won't be allowed to post anymore.

Of course I don't speak for anyone.

bullets wrote:
    I'm not trying to annoy anyone or get myself in trouble but....
    I honestly think that its Purely Not all Clare Gunners fault.
    This whole situation would or may not have happened if a Moderator of the boards.ie did not deliberately provoke the user.

Are the Moderators allowed to insult or provoke board members ?
    This is what happened. Moderator nothing happens to them
    but person provoked responds and gets banned. I don't think this is fair!

Whats to stop a moderator while drunk (or even not being drunk)
    from provoking me into making a comment that results in me
    getting banned ? I should know better but so should the mod by
    making the comment in the first place.

~B

Terry warning Clare Gunner, after he said he may/may not have been "drunk".. but he did not personally abuse Clare Gunner in the thread.. and Terry gave exemption to Clare Gunner for CG's abuse against him..

After that - Clare Gunner took exception to comments made and he got heated and made a threat against boards..

He may have been a valuable contributor to various forums here.. but it counts for nothing if you step over the line..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Its very obvious that its not meant with any real intent, even to anyone who hasnt read the persons other posts.

Do we get out the restraining orders every time we have a little fight and say something we dont mean?

In the spirit of things i think maybe a warning and a ban from the AH Forum?

Doesn't matter, a threat is a threat is a threat.

I'm sure he'll get his account back if he clarifies it with an Admin.

^^^ As Giblet said the thread in AH - if he clarifies things with the Admins then there may be a way back..

• Advertisement

Irish Wolf wrote:
    He may have been a valuable contributor to various forums here.. but it counts for nothing if you step over the line..
    QFT!
    kowloon wrote:
    Its very obvious that its not meant with any real intent, even to anyone who hasnt read the persons other posts.
    Obvious to whom?

Obvious to anyone who read the post; the entire post.
    It was a childish thing to say (type), there should certainly be some kind of ban and warning, after all, a rule was broken, i'm not disputing that.
    If an apology is given i see no reason why it should stay a permanent ban though.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Agreed it's a permaban offense..

Though I thought only SMods and Admins had the permaban power.. when I first saw it on the ban list I thought it was an advert ban by CuLT..
    I have the ability to siteban users, but I do not perform the work of, have the authority of, or the responsibility of an SMod.

The only reason I performed the ban personally was because it was highlighted late in the evening and posed a threat to boards.ie. I immediately notified the SMods of this action. I also siteban spam accounts if I catch them.

My action was merely stopgap until an SMod or admin had time to look into the matter.

CuLT wrote:
    I have the ability to siteban users, but I do not perform the work of, have the authority of, or the responsibility of an SMod.

The only reason I performed the ban personally was because it was highlighted late in the evening and posed a threat to boards.ie. I immediately notified the SMods of this action. I also siteban spam accounts if I catch them.

My action was merely stopgap until an SMod or admin had time to look into the matter.

Thanks for the clearing that up.. good work imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Had the same conversaiton taken place on the shooting forum (where I am not a moderator), he would still have been banned.

I'll stand up and admit that I was wrong in some of the things I wrote on that thread.
    However, I, nor anyone else here, speaks for boards.ie and threatening the site as a whole was wrong.

I did not ban the guy, but I did bring it to the attention of those who can site ban people.

If the admins see fit to take action against me, whether it be stripping me of my modship or banning me or both, then I will stand by their decision.
    In saying that, I stand by my actions, however stupid they may have been.

kowloon wrote:
    Obvious to anyone who read the post; the entire post.
    It was a childish thing to say (type), there should certainly be some kind of ban and warning, after all, a rule was broken, i'm not disputing that.
    If an apology is given i see no reason why it should stay a permanent ban though.

It's not permanent, it's just a site ban until we know more.

If anything Terry, if you had banned him for personal abuse earlier in the thread this would be a non-issue, so i wouldnt go getting all stressed, reporting him for breach of the rules was the right thing to do.

I just think it might be fairer to give someone a chance to learn by their mistakes, given a second chance im sure if he got that worked up again he might have a cuppa and relax before typing something he obviously hadnt thought through.

Giblet wrote:
    It's not permanent, it's just a site ban until we know more.

My mistake :o

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

kowloon wrote:
    My mistake :o
    I think some peoples wording can be poor; "permaban" is the umbrella term used, but in reality the actual term should be "indefinite ban" (in this case).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Giblet wrote:
    Threaten legal action? Get a solicitor to do the rest of the talking, because you sure as hell won't be allowed to post anymore.

There's a phrase I recall from my law-schooling days in UCD. "Hyperbole. Mere puffery"

Fine, give him a slap on the wrist as evidently the board has a policy of not letting comments on such a topic go un-noticed, but considering the plainly obvious heated context, a ban is a little excessive. I mean, did anyone here honestly think he meant it as anything other than a statement that he was taking the comments personally?

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I just want to add my support to CG's return. Yes, I read the post and was also surprised it wasn't locked sooner. CG did get heated and overstepped the line with the threat but I do believe he honestly didn't mean anything by it. He rarely posts outside of the Shooting Forum and you can believe me there are sometimes heated arguments there, too, but CG never lost his cool and threatened anyone.

I think it was due to the fact that a shooting thread outside the Shooting Forum had become a slagging match, CG got involved and he was wound up to a point when he let slip a big no-no on boards.ie. As he doesn't post much outside Shooting I don't think he knew just how serious the threat would be taken even though I do believe it was just said to wind up another poster.

A stern warning and some cooling off time, I would have agreed with but not a permanent site ban, or indefinitive ban. If there is a way of "reducing his sentence" I would like to plead for him.

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

We have had a situation a little similar to this in so far as legal action was threatened in the heat of the moment, and the user was unbanned. Such threats are not taken lightly but a siteban (as mentioned) does not necessarily mean a permban.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Terry was way out of line (telling someone they live in lal la land is personal abuse) and CG re-acted badly.

Had he know his comment would be perceived as a threat I doubt he would have posted it.

In the shooting forum the reigns are kept very tight on anything that may be remotely considered slander/libel. This frustrates CG so when Terry posted something clearly offensive (getting away with it) I think CG pointed out the comments were broaching on slander, I think he was telling Terry to be careful what he said because posts like his could lead to more problems.

Knowing CG, I don't think he threatened leagal action I think he was warning Terry that the things he was saying were border line libel/slander and to be careful.

Should Terry be dismissed as a mod? No
    Should CG be site banned? Definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I do belive this board has already one libel action going against it...Like another one?

Very obviously a threat of legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

6th wrote:
    Very obviously a threat of legal action.

you are implying I am some kind of nut!!!Hmm I do belive this board has already one libel action going against it...Like another one???? As Sparks a mod is always rabbitting on about it,you might want to consider your words abit more.

Said with reference to the thread below and a number of others on the shooting forum where there is plenty of heated debate and few bannings due to warnings.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126376&page=5

+1 to Vegeta's post in this thread.

de_shadow wrote:
    Said with reference to the thread below and a number of others on the shooting forum where there is plenty of heated debate and few bannings due to warnings.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126376&page=5

+1 to Vegeta's post in this thread.

This is exactly the thing I was talking about above

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

de_shadow, I fail to see the link between the threads.

There was no libel on Terry's part. Terry gave his opinion about CG's stance, based on what CG had posted in that thread. Terry's opinion could easily be backed up by posts that CG made.
    On the shooting forum, I can only assume that people are making assertions such as, "X shoots people for fun", without providing any contributory evidence.

A libel is a false statement about a person, or one that otherwise cannot be verified. Terry gave his opinion - and although "It's my opinion", is no defence, the reasons for holding that opinion can easily be verified on-thread.

It was CG who made the leap to, "You are calling me crazy". Terry in no way implied or otherwise made a statement as to CG's mental state - he only gave his opinion on what he though CG's personal stance was.

This is just my interpretation of the whole thing. For the record, I wouldn't consider Terry's posts to be personal abuse, even the drunken ones, instead they were just blatantly inflammatory.
    It could even be argued that baiting someone is a valid debating technique - provided that the baiter stays on the good side of personal. Once the other person rises to the bait, they can expose themselves and end up losing the debate by allowing it to get personal.
    On boards.ie, we've traditionally shyed away from baiting, but it's by no means banned or "wrong".

seamus wrote:
    de_shadow, I fail to see the link between the threads.

There was no libel on Terry's part. Terry gave his opinion about CG's stance, based on what CG had posted in that thread. Terry's opinion could easily be backed up by posts that CG made.
    On the shooting forum, I can only assume that people are making assertions such as, "X shoots people for fun", without providing any contributory evidence.

A libel is a false statement about a person, or one that otherwise cannot be verified. Terry gave his opinion - and although "It's my opinion", is no defence, the reasons for holding that opinion can easily be verified on-thread.

It was CG who made the leap to, "You are calling me crazy". Terry in no way implied or otherwise made a statement as to CG's mental state - he only gave his opinion on what he though CG's personal stance was.

This is just my interpretation of the whole thing. For the record, I wouldn't consider Terry's posts to be personal abuse, even the drunken ones, instead they were just blatantly inflammatory.
    It could even be argued that baiting someone is a valid debating technique - provided that the baiter stays on the good side of personal. Once the other person rises to the bait, they can expose themselves and end up losing the debate by allowing it to get personal.
    On boards.ie, we've traditionally shyed away from baiting, but it's by no means banned or "wrong".

Off you go, Manic Moran (Living in the U.S.) and Clare gunner (living in some ****ing dream world).

Clearly an attack on CG's mental state. "Living in some ****ing dream world" implies some form of altered perception of reality, it is personal abuse and pretty poor behaviour from a mod to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Having reviewed the thread in question, I would recommend lifting the ban in a day or two (provided that CG understands why it was imposed in the first place).

It's an admin's decision though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Vegeta wrote:
    Clearly an attack on CG's mental state. "Living in some ****ing dream world" implies some form of altered perception of reality, it is personal abuse and pretty poor behaviour from a mod to be honest

It's hilarious how in this thread a number of people are defending Clare Gunner by saying that the threat of legal action was made "in the heat of the moment" but don't seem willing to accept the exact same argument in the defence of Terry's comments.

The issue about Clare Gunner being banned is a known policy on site - regardless of circumstances, if you're dumb enough to threaten legal action against the site, you get banned. You can whine and whinge about it, but unless you can convince an admin you weren't serious, you'll stay banned. And I can't imagine the policy being changed because a bunch of internet blowhards want permission to use lawsuits as empty threats.

As regards the statement of "You're living in a dream world/lalaland/whatever"...I would agree it's an offensive phrasing, at the least, but it's essentially a statement that Terry doesn't believe the reasons Clare Gunner gave for his stated position in the thread in question are valid. This is, presumably, Terry's opinion and while it's poorly phrased, he's still entitled to it. Must admit I'm glad it's not my call though.

Advertisement