Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Gunner banned

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trojan911 wrote:
    Exactly my point, caretakers & caretakers hold a point of responsibility how can they do this under the influence of alcohol?
    Quite easily imo. It requires little or no fine motor control, and most people can manage reasonable decisions when slightly sozzled.

I'd certainly trust most people to mod with some control even after four or five bottles of beer. People do differ though obviously, so I wouldn't stake my life on such a blanket statement. :)
    Thank god for that. I don't fancy a sozzled Dr operating on me same as I don't fancy a sozzled Mod dishing out uncalled for remarks .....
    This is the same issue though as "how involved can a moderator get in a thread?". Sobriety is irrelevant - should a moderator always have to wear their moderator hat when participating in a thread?
    when a poster made a comment which may have been deemed a threat of legal action by some when provoked by a Moderator, irrespective of whether he was in Mod Mode or not but still held the title of Moderator & who also admitted he was drunk at the time.
    People do seem to have missed though that CG made his "threat" after Terry admitted that his comment was out of order. CG reacted to something that was said by Terry while sober.
    So in that respect, while perhaps the initial comment was contributory, I don't feel the fact that Terry had been drinking has any bearing on the resulting drama.

Truth be told, I would consider CG's assertion that Terry has a drinking problem to be far more offensive than what Terry said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Thank you to for clarifing those points. fysh & seamus. I have been educated & I hear your points of view & I acknowlege both were in the wrong, however, I still stand by my opinion that had those comments had not been made by the Mod the following comments would not have been made by the said poster thus the reason for sobriety when shown as a Moderator. Thanks again...

TJ911...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fysh wrote:
    but for a lot of fora

Entirely off-topic, but I just would like to say 'thank you' for reaffirming my faith in humanity.

So few people bother with Latin grammar these days.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mods have been demoded for behaviour which was unbecoming while drunk.

That being said every poster has to take responsibilty for thier own reactions and what they post. If someone posts inflamatory things about me I can choose to report the post and deal with the matter through channels or I can post telling them to go suck my cock. I have that choice but I have to accept the consquences of that choice no matter how I was provoked.

Moral of the story, take responsiblity for your behaviour in yoru posts.
    If you are not happy with a post report it, even if it the post of the mod of that forum as ALL mods/cmods/smods/admin can view the reported post forum
    and if you are not happy with any action generated by that reported post start a thread here in feed back.
    Do not threathen to sue boards.ie or take legal action as that will get you banned.

don't know if a solution is available in vbulletin but it would be nice if the option existed to add or remove the moderator tag to given posts, to differentiate between posts as a user and posts as a moderator.

I moderate over on Tank-net, which granted, at 11,500 members is a bit smaller than Boards, but the way we've solved the issue is by having two accounts.

One is the normal 'User' account. i.e. in discussions, I participate under the name Manic Moran. I do no official warning or moderating in that guise, though I do have mod powers to split/lock threads and so on for convenience. There is no indicator that I am a mod.

However, for official warnings, notifications, and whatnot, there is a communal user account named "MODERATOR". All mods can log in under that account, and, indeed, MODERATOR has taken on a persona/personality of his own: A sort of cross between Cthulhu and Darth Vader has evolved!

With this system, is it absolutely clear if someone is speaking for himself, or as a moderator. There is an internal code/moderation by other moderators, whereby anyone engaged in any argument, regardless of sub-forum, does not engage in moderation on that thread, and leaves it to others who are not involved in that discussion.

I feel that this also has the advantage of not having people most likely to participate in a thread moderating it. As a random example, Sparks moderates the Shooting sub-forum, but he also participates in the vast majority of the discussions. He does a good job of it, but the premise does leave in theory the possibility of complaints of conflicts of interest/abuse of power.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So drink moderating is the new thing we're guilty of? Time was, people simply accused us of being drunk with power.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Trojan911 wrote:
    One drunken slip and a law suit entails is every reason to remain sober whilst "Volunteering".

Should we have disclaimers in our sigs saying that our views are not necessarily the views of boards.ie or its shareholders?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stark wrote:
    So drink moderating is the new thing we're guilty of? Time was, people simply accused us of being drunk with power.

i'm not sure drinking in moderation is something that any of the mods could be found guilty of..

Entirely off-topic, but I just would like to say 'thank you' for reaffirming my faith in humanity.

So few people bother with Latin grammar these days.

NTM

It's weird. Forums is listed as being correct along with fora while radii is listed as the only plural of radius. It's similar with formulas and formulae.

nesf wrote:
    It's weird. Forums is listed as being correct along with fora while radii is listed as the only plural of radius. It's similar with formulas and formulae.

Conversation which could be overheard on my platoon net one day in Iraq if you happened to be listening.

"Three, stop your tank. I need to climb out and tie down my antennae as we go under these low power lines"
    "Your what?"
    "My antennae"
    "You mean 'antennas'?"
    "No, antennae. A-E. It's the plural"
    "You're making that up. We'll ask the English teacher. What say you, Four?"
    (Four being an English teacher in civilian life)
    "Yes, it's true, Three. 'Antennae' is the old English plural for 'antenna'"
    "Old English? I still use it, and nobody else has a problem understanding me..."

NTM

• Advertisement

Conversation which could be overheard on my platoon net one day in Iraq if you happened to be listening.

"Three, stop your tank. I need to climb out and tie down my antennae as we go under these low power lines"
    "Your what?"
    "My antennae"
    "You mean 'antennas'?"
    "No, antennae. A-E. It's the plural"
    "You're making that up. We'll ask the English teacher. What say you, Four?"
    (Four being an English teacher in civilian life)
    "Yes, it's true, Three. 'Antennae' is the old English plural for 'antenna'"
    "Old English? I still use it, and nobody else has a problem understanding me..."

NTM

Heh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

As a random example, Sparks moderates the Shooting sub-forum, but he also participates in the vast majority of the discussions. He does a good job of it, but the premise does leave in theory the possibility of complaints of conflicts of interest/abuse of power.
    In theory???
    Feck that. Go read some of the old Sparks/FLAG conversations if you have a spare week sometime.
    "Theory". Pffffft!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

CG has been in contact with me and is looking for an e-mail address so he can get in contact about his ban. So who does he e-mail and at what address?

admin at nospamdiediedie dot boards.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Huh, I thought you were messing but that appears to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just give her Cloud's home phone number.

thanks folks, Tar and Original P

Stark you're just naughty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Stark wrote:
    I somehow imagine that this is a man we are dealing with. :)

Stark wrote:

I hadn't realised Cloud was into 6" 5 very big and scary looking men who like guns.

Why Cloud, you sly devil you :p

Vegeta wrote:
    Clare Gunner, an adonis with guns

Don't forget the tats!

• Advertisement

How did this one turn out?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think it might be an idea to clear up one or two things mentioned in this thread.

There are separate issues here: (i) moderators' behaviour whilst on-/off-duty, and (ii) threatening legal action. These have been conflated in this thread, and I do not think this is appropriate, irrespective of the fact that here, one led to the other.

(i) Firstly, I personally have a standard where I don't do any moderator-like things when I'm bojangled. However, if others feel they can make reasoned decisions while in that state, then that's their own call. If it transpires that they cannot make such decisions, then they will be found out fairly quickly and dealt with appropriately (usually by simply reversing or amending whatever action they took).

(ii) Secondly, threatening boards.ie with legal action is simply out-of-bounds. Alone, it is enough to warrant a site-ban, independent of the context. This is one case of shoot first, ask questions later for SMods and Admins etc. One reason for this is that threatening people with legal action over something trivial is like threatening to tell the teacher when you're on the losing side of a slagging contest in primary school. Then, if you actually intend to go through with it, why should you have access to any evidence in your favour without going through the proper channels? Finally, if you have any intention to go through with it, you simply aren't welcome to post on this site anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"

lolcat2.jpg

Advertisement