Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a complaint regarding the banning of a member

Options
  • 20-08-2007 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

This is the first time I've complained about anything here. I think I'm doing it in the right spot but there are more stickies directing me to another department than in the Dept. of Ag. So here I go.

A member, who I only know from the shooting part of this forum was banned today I believe.

He was active in this thread in After Hours. A drunken, by their own admission, moderator was baiting him and Clare Gunner took that bait. CG chose his words unwisely in my opinion but I believe he was speaking in the heat of the moment and any threat of legal action was an empty one.

How is it that Admin did not give CG a warning or a week cooling off period or some lesser sentence other than a permenant ban?

How is it that Admin apparently support the actions of a drunken moderator when moderators should be setting a good example?

What action has/is being taken against the moderator in question (Terry)?

Why should ordinary members put up with this apparent abuse of power?

Now I only have 200 and something posts, which isn't a spit in the ocean compared to some, but this behaviour doesn't encourage me to add to that number in all honesty.

Regards,

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CG was banned indefinitely until the matter is cleared up. There's a thread in Feedback discussing it.

Regardless of who you are, threatening boards.ie with legal action will result in a siteban - no matter how tongue-in-cheek or thinly veiled.

I will review the thread in question when I get a chance at some point today, but tbh it seems like a storm in a teacup.

We don't require that moderators be sober while on boards. They're volunteers, not employees. That's not to say that taking action against a user purely because you're drunk is acceptable, but it's never come up yet. I understand Terry didn't do anything to Clare Gunner, with the exception of perhaps baiting him (as I say, I've yet to review the thread), so on the face of it, I don't see a problem. Terry could have been paralytic, but that's no reason to prevent him posting on boards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote:
    Regardless of who you are, threatening boards.ie with legal action will result in a siteban - no matter how tongue-in-cheek or thinly veiled.

I also have not seen the thread in question.
    However, as seamus said, any kind of legal threat to this site is taken very seriously for obvious reasons and a poster will automatically get a temp site ban as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm moving my comments to the thread on same in Feedback.

Seamus, thanks for your above comment.

Beruthiel, I suggest that you do read it as it's content is important.

Advertisement