Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike recomendations

Options
  • 20-08-2007 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I've been planning on buying a car for the past few months but after giving it a lot of thought I've decided to buy a nice bike instead. I'm looking for a good mountain bike that i can take into the mountains etc at weekends but won't be too hard to cycle to work etc. I dont have a terribly large commute so it doesn't need to be great on that front. My budget is 1000-1500.

I'd imagine this sort of thing comes up here quite a bit but I'd appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What's your bike-parking situation at work like? Do you have somewhere 100% secure, preferably indoors to keep at €1500 bike? If not you should consider geting a cheap commuter and a nice mtb.

With that budget you should get a good quality hardtail. There is a huge amount of choice in that price range but you're looking at something with decent front suspension (probably Rockshox or Marzocchi) and hydraulic disc brakes. The Giant XTC and Specialized Rockhopper spring to mind but there are a whole load of others to consider too.

If it's your first mtb you should buy locally so you can test-ride whatever you're getting. Try Cycleogical, Cycleways and the Cycle Superstore to start and see what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Hi Morgan, yes I will be parking it indoors at work so it will be quite secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Advertisement