Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drive-By Window Smash

Options
  • 20-08-2007 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So I was driving through an estate today going pretty slow when I drove by 3 guys about 9 years old sitting on the curb, as I drove by smash, my side window had a big whole in it and was about to shatter. Parked the van and surprisingly they didn't do a legger. Got the usual it wasn't me, but two of them were brothers so they told me where they lived and I just went to have a chat with their mam.

Anyway, this is the first time I've ever had to get money off somebody for something like this so the dad knows a glazer and is going to see if he can get a special price to replace it tomorrow morning and he'll obviously take care of it. I'm generally laid back and took the view that we were all young once and do stupid split second decisions we regret. I know they regret it so as long as I don't have to fork out anything I don't care.

It's the side window on a ford transit, the triangular one between the roll down one and the windscreen on a 2002 model. How much is this likely to cost them? I don't want to wait around as I can't cover up the window with wood or a black bag or anything because the mirror is so essential in a van and how long should it take to replace the window I wonder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You sure it was the kids? Could have been someone further away with a Black Widow or similar. Any evidence in the cab?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It was them, lol, they had them home made sling shots in their pockets. The oul balloon around the bottle cap thing or however they are made. They probably thought I was gonna bate them so didn't wanna say who it was:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

What did their mam say Cormie? I hope she gave those little pricks a belt across the head. I'm laid back too but I just dont buy "Ah sure there only young 'uns" argument. :D Too many kids these days acting the bollox like this and getting away with it. Jasus I sound like a right old man :D

Hope you get the window fixed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You're lucky cormie, some parents would treat you like a criminal if you had the cheeck to possibly even imply that their little scrote did anything wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Did you not call the gardas? I would of happily waited for them and put the ****s up the little feckers... also the parents probably would of coughed up the money quicker once they are involved...

• Advertisement

Did you not call the gardas? I would of happily waited for them and put the ****s up the little feckers... also the parents probably would of coughed up the money quicker once they are involved...

Call the Gardai? No way! haha, you serious? They were only small and it wouldn't have had any positive impact on the situation. It's been dealt with now anyway, the dad has arranged it so I'm calling out at 4 to get a replacement window.

These things happen, I'm not going to go and try and sue them for shock or trauma or anything either;)

Mexicola wrote:
    What did their mam say Cormie?

She told them the window being broken wasn't important but that they could have made me swerve and hurt myself and anyone else who was in the way. Which I agree with completely. A window is only material, all that's needed to fix it is a bit of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

cormie wrote:
    She told them the window being broken wasn't important but that they could have made me swerve and hurt myself and anyone else who was in the way. Which I agree with completely. A window is only material, all that's needed to fix it is a bit of money.

Sounds like she's given them permission to break more windows as long
    as they just hit parked cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

cormie wrote:
    Call the Gardai? No way! haha, you serious?

I understand exactly cormie!I had my back window smashed,my front tyre slashed and my mates back window smashed out in the wilds of upper Louth and rang the guards, and it took them over an hour to get up there!I was on my way to the airport for my holliers when I got the call

"Eh we are here.....ah your gone.....would like to ask you to bring the car to the Garda station so we can inspect the damage"....No your alright thanks!

Sounds like she's given them permission to break more windows as long
    as they just hit parked cars.

Hopefully they didn't take it in the same way you did:D

Not calling the Gardai had nothing to do with not thinking they'd come on time etc. I just don't feel it's necessary to get them involved. It has been resolved perfectly without them:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement