Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Come Peppermint Essence Is So Hard To Get

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I remembered my mother used to make Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread when I was younger and they were delicous, so I asked her for the receipe and started getting the ingredients. One of the receipes is Peppermint Essence. For the life of me I couldn't mind it in town on Saturday.

I thought the best place to get it would be Tesco's in Jervis Street and although it was marked on the shelf they didn't have any in stock, and it doesn't appear on their website. I then went to Dunnes on Georges Street and North Earl Street- no luck there. I thought I'd chance my arm and see if Tesco in Rathmines might have it, but alas no. I then tried Super-Value in Talbot Street and no luck. I tried Marks and Spencer but pretty much knew that would be futile.
    So after looking in SIX supermarkets I can't find it, what's the story with that? They all stocked the Goodalls brand (apart from Marks and Spencer who don't stock anything like this) and it's listed on their website.

I'd love to make these, can someone please tell me where I can pick some up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Strange to here

What about growing you own mint, it grows like a weed. You could do an infusion with a load mint leaves and some grain alcohol and leave for a time to develop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

oblivious wrote:
    Strange to here

What about growing you own mint, it grows like a weed. You could do an infusion with a load mint leaves and some grain alcohol and leave for a time to develop

Well fair play to my folks, they were interested why I couldn't find the thing and they rang Goodalls this morning. Apparently they discontinued production of Peppermint Essence but there's been such a level of calls and complaints to them that they are putting it back into production and it should be in shops in about a month.

Hey oblivious, I appreciate the suggestion but to be honest I wouldn't have the time to go to that much effort I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elewton

oblivious wrote:
    ...grain alcohol...

Do you know where to get this? I want to make various extracts to add to cocktails (cranberry, mint etc.), but can't find anything above 40% for the life of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Its illegal to stock alcohol products above 40% in Ire as far as I know. Maybe you could get it online tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

perhaps one of the middle eastern food shops or asian food shops might be a better bet? though that might be a different type of mint than peppermint. there are two asian markets near each other, one on georges street and the other around the corner (not sure the street but go down fade street - turn left at hogans then left again and it's on your left) or perhaps fallon & byrne on exchequer street might have some? or a trip down moore street and you might find it in one of the shops along there.

• Advertisement

Thanks Man,

I might give those places a go this evening. I tried Fallon & Byrne but they didn't stock it. Looks like the Asian stores might be the way to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There is a shop in cowper/rathmines that sells it. its about 3/4 dors up from the centra just off cowper road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elewton

The Asian food store past the West end of Henry street had propylene glycol peppermint essence today.

Thanks guy so much for your help! I know where I have to go this evening so!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

I got a bottle of it in my local chemists. A teaspoon full is great for an upset stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yogasiva

Has anyone been able to get peppermint essence in Cork city/suburbs?

Is it in the english market somewhere?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can also use creme de menthe liqueur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Well, I'm in the west and I saw Supercook (also known as Dr Oetker) little peppermint essences in their baking section. Perhaps somewhere that stocks supercook would be of use to you?

It's a sign of the times folks, no-one is baking anymore:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

3 years on its still damn hard to get !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm looking for peppermint essence atm, tried most of the asian shops in dublin and the likes of tesco, dunnes etc. If anyone knows for a fact where to get it in Dublin please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could always get a pack of mint sweets and crush them up or dissolve in boiling water. Silvermints should crush to a powder, you can do it under a strong pint glass on a chopping boards.
    Its illegal to stock alcohol products above 40% in Ire as far as I know. Maybe you could get it online tho
    I know this post is old, but it is not illegal, smirnoff blue is usually 45% here (50% in many countries) and readily available. Also celtic whiskey store sell 90% poitin.
    http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/-z-product-product-218-context-distillery-page-1.htm
    A chemist might well stock high strength drinking alcohol, but probably charge a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Actually you can get it in health stores (just make sure it's for eating)

rubadub wrote: »
    You could always get a pack of mint sweets and crush them up or dissolve in boiling water. Silvermints should crush to a powder, you can do it under a strong pint glass on a chopping boards.

Now another problem, I don't think they're vegetarian if memory serves me right, I'll have to double-check later. But that is an idea.
    hussey wrote: »
    Actually you can get it in health stores (just make sure it's for eating)

I checked most of the health shops and all they have is the non-edible kind.

creme de menthe if all else fails

• Registered Users Posts: 38 linx

There is a shop called the kitchen dresser in portlaoise that stocks peppermint flavouring you can get it online to just add ie . Is 5.95 for 15 ml but a little goes a long way , I tried all the shops to and emailed them and had it 3 days later
    Theres also 4.50 delivery but i see so much when i go on that site i never buy just one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

--LOS-- wrote: »
    creme de menthe if all else fails
    I have seen mint flavoured syrups in off licences before, so you do not have to fork out for the unwanted alcohol.

Not sure if tictacs are veggie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lickin' Gravy

There is a shop called Kitchen Complements on Chatham Street in the City Centre (01-6770734). They might have it. Give them a ring if you're not having any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

I spent years looking for it too, then found it in a supermarket eventually. I saw it recently I think in Eurospar in Killiney S.C. but I will check and let you know!

rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen mint flavoured syrups in off licences before, so you do not have to fork out for the unwanted alcohol.

Not sure if tictacs are veggie.

yep they are! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Ok --LOS-- I picked you up a bottle of it today in said Eurospar in Killiney Shopping Centre. It's actually called "Peppermint Extract" - Dr.Oetker brand.

Just hope it's what you are looking for. It was with all the essences and vanilla, food colouring etc.

PM me your address and I will post it to you.

Consider it an early Christmas present!

Groom! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Groom! wrote: »
    "Peppermint Extract" - Dr.Oetker brand.

That's the brand HummingBird Bakery book recommends

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Well that sure is the power of the internet and kindness of strangers.
    I'm having the trouble of trying to find it at the moment as well, though I'm in Drogheda so a bit out of the city.

Crazy to think that quite a 'christmassy' flavouring (candy canes etc) would be so hard to find at this time of year?!

ipadzz wrote: »
    Well that sure is the power of the internet and kindness of strangers.
    I'm having the trouble of trying to find it at the moment as well, though I'm in Drogheda so a bit out of the city.

Crazy to think that quite a 'christmassy' flavouring (candy canes etc) would be so hard to find at this time of year?!

actually I never did get my peppermint essence :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Jeepers the west must have stolen it all, the goodalls brand pepermint essence is in every dunnes stores in Galway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Hey guys,

Was in Superquinn in the Pavillions shopping centre in Swords today, thinking that of all the supermarkets they must be the ones who stocked it and they do, even have two kinds of it!

Since its a real christmassy flavour it's on a big stand near the tills and all the baking equipment. Picked myself three bottles up, about 1.50 each, and another bottle of strawberry essence as well for about 1.90!

Thank godddd

Advertisement