Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Review CAO Points - August 20th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

bah! no points list though!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Just give it another three and a half hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Just give it another three and a half hours...
    Give what another three and a half hours?

:p Sorry I'm bored, don't mind me, wouldn't mind I shouldn't be here I did the LC last year. I'm looking for someone else though. Hope ye all get what ye want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It does quote points for a number of courses though:

MI005 - Education - B.Ed. Primary Teaching - 465(+5)
    PD101 - Education B.Ed. - 465(+10)
    CK301 - Law - 500(+15)
    DN009 - Law - 505(+10)
    TR051 - Medicine - 585(-5)
    DN002 - Medicine - 570(-5)
    TR025 - Drama & Theatre Studies - 470(-30)
    CK201 - Commerce - 445(+10)
    DN015 - Commerce - 435(+10)

Congratulations to everyone who now knows what they'll be offered!

It does quote points for a number of courses though:

MI005 - Education - B.Ed. Primary Teaching - 465(+5)
    PD101 - Education B.Ed. - 465(+10)
    CK301 - Law - 500(+15)
    DN009 - Law - 505(+10)
    TR051 - Medicine - 585(-5)
    DN002 - Medicine - 570(-5)
    TR025 - Drama & Theatre Studies - 470(-30)
    CK201 - Commerce - 445(+10)
    DN015 - Commerce - 435(+10)

Congratulations to everyone who now knows what they'll be offered!
    Ah **** I know a few going for Primary Teaching who are borderline with their points. I don't understand the numbers that want to do it though....they never leave the education system....*Shudders* I'd rather do a different degree go working for a few years outside of the education system and then do the online thing which takes about 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

caesar wrote:
    Ah **** I know a few going for Primary Teaching who are borderline with there points.

Me too. One of my best friends got 460. Wont be enough, though she may get dublin. Still really suckish.

These are only the first round offers though, a drop of five points isn't totally unrealistic although the most likely scenerio is that in next year's CAO handbook it will list the courses as 465* indicating that not all applicants at that points level were offered places.

I've heard that alot of the points will stay the same, engineering will go up methinks

Examiner wrote:
    But with a fall in demand for engineering for the second year in a row, the points needed for places on these courses are likely to be down. In 2005, about 7,300 people listed Level 8 (honours bachelor degree) engineering or technology courses as their first preference. This dropped below 7,000 last year and was 5,731 after the final deadline for applications or changes to lists in early July.

All reports look to say that they'll be going down!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

only a couple more hours wait, aaaargh..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

54mins:D

Hmm, me thought I heard talk of it going up...having said that I wasn't paying much attention to that. I know more or less that I'm going to get science in UCD...that is if the one before that goes down by 40 points!

In fact, I've just accpeted DN008, UCD here I come!

aye have accepted mine now. Wahey :)

what did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

got offered rcsi.. stupidrandomselectionwantucd..

rant over, I've just accepted rcsi.

WD095 - Marketing. I missed my first choice (BIS in UCC) as expected but I'm happy with this course.

I missed my first 5! All of which were law.

My head says Law,
    My heart says Science

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Brilliant! But it says Trinity courses went up..please..please not History TSM..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

What happens if you don't take what you got offered this week? Will it be gone by next week and will you get a course way down the list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

BrightEyes wrote:
    What happens if you don't take what you got offered this week? Will it be gone by next week and will you get a course way down the list?
    You have until August 28 ( 17.15 ) to accept the offer, if you do not accept it by then you will not get offered it again.

You can't get a course at a lower preference to the one you got offered but you get a higher preference course at a later stage depending on round 2 and appeals.

If you don't accept what you get this week then your place will be offered to another candidate and you will not be offered another place in that course or any course further down your list. The only other offer you will get is if a higher preference course has availability. Therefore it's recommended that you accept whatever offer you get in Round One so you won't be left out in the cold without any college place should you not get a Round two offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

if i accept my 1st offer, could i still be offered a higher course at a later stage? Also, both are in the same college, does that matter

sd123 wrote:
    if i accept my 1st offer, could i still be offered a higher course at a later stage? Also, both are in the same college, does that matter
    Yes you could get offered a higher preference course later on in round 2 or because of appeals ( but not a lower one ).

I have heard of people transfering at the end of first year and such but I don't know too much about that, you might still need the points or a good academic record in first year, ring the Irish times helpline, it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Thanks, that just completely put me at ease, off to breakfast to celebrate!!

The postman just came there, with my written offers, my results and a page of frequently asked questions ( It's yellow! ). There fast enough, I though they were not supposed to arrive till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

No offence but how in the name of God do ye not know how the system works???? It's all very simple.

If you DO NOT accept your first offer then you won't be offered something higher on your CAO choices.

It's quite simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Once again I suggest you look up the CAO handbook. Here it is online :)

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

Cateym wrote:
    No offence but how in the name of God do ye not know how the system works???? It's all very simple.

If you DO NOT accept your first offer then you won't be offered something higher on your CAO choices.

It's quite simple really.
    I think they are just trying to make sure and have everything clear in there mind. It's nice to be nice and help people that are a small bit unsure of the system, the CAO is important and you do not want to make mistakes.

• Advertisement

Is the big long list of the points in the Indo or the Times? I can't remember!

Advertisement