Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else close to med?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 6:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

I'll start the ball rolling:
    Got 570. Which is enough for NUIG, UCD and RCSI.
    Missed out on random selection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

got 580, enough for nuig, rcsi, ucd and ucc ( i think ) i didn't have the foreign language thing. needed 585, ( i think ) for tcd this year.. BITCH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

OP: hopefully you'll get it second round, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.. :)

sd123: tcd points were 590* first round last year, eventually dropped to 580*, could happen again this year.

OP: hopefully you'll get it second round, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.. :)

sd123: tcd points were 590* first round last year, eventually dropped to 580*, could happen again this year.

OMG are you serious. OMG please happen. i want med soooo much. thanks for the info. BTW, ive been offered my 2nd choice, tp. do i accept that for the mo and then wait for 2nd offers, or do i not accept anything for now?

Seriously, that's what happened, but it doesn't always happen, so try not to think about it unless it happens.

Are you happy with your second choice? If so, I'd accept it, because if not, you could be stuck with no offers.

Seriously, that's what happened, but it doesn't always happen, so try not to think about it unless it happens.

Are you happy with your second choice? If so, I'd accept it, because if not, you could be stuck with no offers.

ye but if i accept TP, could I still be offered Med at a later stage??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

If it's higher up on your list, then yes.. as far as I know.

sd123 wrote:
    ye but if i accept TP, could I still be offered Med at a later stage??

Yup, definitely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

...and Holsten knows quite far - that's definitely the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'll start the ball rolling:
    Got 570. Which is enough for NUIG, UCD and RCSI.
    Missed out on random selection.

Sorry to hear that man, I hope you get it in the 2nd round.... Did you say you got accepted into Physics in UCC?

Yup, definitely!

OK thanks for that!!!:) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The problem with random selection is it could be a randomly selected 1% of applicants with the right points or 99%....

Hope you do get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Would you consider doing Med in Budapest, carsinian_Thau? My cousin did the Leaving 3 times to try and get Pharmacy, she's now going into her 4th year of it in Budapest. I know it sounds daunting, but it IS recognised back here and eh stuff. There's an exam you have to take, in the Hungarian embassy, so you could contact them. I could get more info off my cousin either, she's home atm. The hardest part was learning enough Hungarian to get by..she did her Erasmus in Slovenia and had a great time there..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

You can go into the CAO Office and ask them where you sit on the random selection list. A girl who I know did it last year went up from 560 to 570 on re-checks and did the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Luinros

I got 560 points... I'm pretty disappointed, but a little more hopeless about the whole thing now that I see someone who got 570 and missed out due to the random selection... :( This sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

This sounds awful, I know but I've a friend who put Medicine first on his CAO and put Engineering after. He actually wanted engineering and not med at all. Anyway, he got 570 points and yesterday was offered UCD. He's not happy about it as he wants the Engineering..

gangsta wrote:
    You can go into the CAO Office and ask them where you sit on the random selection list

but is the cao office not in galway? can it not be done online or ring them up??
    carlowboy wrote:
    This sounds awful, I know but I've a friend who put Medicine first on his CAO and put Engineering after. He actually wanted engineering and not med at all. Anyway, he got 570 points and yesterday was offered UCD. He's not happy about it as he wants the Engineering..

He better FCUKING turn it down... thats not fair.. but tbh it wont bother me:cool:

sd123 wrote:
    but is the cao office not in galway? can it not be done online or ring them up??

He better FCUKING turn it down... thats not fair.. but tbh it wont bother me:cool:

I don't think he's turning it down.

Why not, if he doesn't want it? That isn't fair. The CAO system needs to be explained more clearly 'order of preference, not order of points'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Why not, if he doesn't want it? That isn't fair. The CAO system needs to be explained more clearly 'order of preference, not order of points'.
    I imagine it's because he'd be left with no offers at all then, and if he takes the medicine he can probably switch to Engineering within the same university once lectures start (as long as his offer isn't in RCSI for obvious reasons). Totally unfair, of course, that he's effectively robbing someone else who actually wants to do medicine of an offer.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, forgot he can never get offered lower, obviously he did too. Well if he does switch immediately, his place would go on the cao website as a vacancy?

Corruptedmorals, I hope so. I actually feel bad about it even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

carlowboy wrote:

No offence, but your friend is a retard. HOW THE HELL COULD HE DO THAT?!?

There are lots of people like me and they all feel this bloody crappy. And your idiot friend is directly responsible for this suffering. A lot of people want to become doctors for very personal reasons (e.g. my grandfather died from recieving grossly substandard medical care. It wasn't until he started bleeding to death that any doctor did anything and still the doctor directly responsible for his care didn't even enquire as to how he was for a good month. I quite like the idea of being able to take the place from anyone would do this and prevent anything even remotely similar happening to even one family).

{Angry rant over}

Tell your friend yo turn down the place. It's not what he wants and he should get out before he traumatises himself (e.g. asked to cut open a cadaver).
    Also, try explaining to him what "order of preference" means.
    And if you find out why he did it, could you please post it or PM me? I'd really like to hear the logic behind making someone suffer by stealing their college place. It might give me a laugh while I go out of my mind thinking about rechecks and round 2, round 3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

No offence, but your friend is a retard. HOW THE HELL COULD HE DO THAT?!?

There are lots of people like me and they all feel this bloody crappy. And your idiot friend is directly responsible for this suffering. A lot of people want to become doctors for very personal reasons (e.g. my grandfather died from recieving grossly substandard medical care. It wasn't until he started bleeding to death that any doctor did anything and still the doctor directly responsible for his care didn't even enquire as to how he was for a good month. I quite like the idea of being able to take the place from anyone would do this and prevent anything even remotely similar happening to even one family).

{Angry rant over}

Tell your friend yo turn down the place. It's not what he wants and he should get out before he traumatises himself (e.g. asked to cut open a cadaver).
    Also, try explaining to him what "order of preference" means.
    And if you find out why he did it, could you please post it or PM me? I'd really like to hear the logic behind making someone suffer by stealing their college place. It might give me a laugh while I go out of my mind thinking about rechecks and round 2, round 3 etc.

Woah !!! I feel for you CT ,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Idd, there is an insane amount of incompetent doctors in this country (referring to recent happenings in Galway as another example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

me too dude.

Advertisement