Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CW507 Aircraft Systems

• 20-08-2007 7:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Just after logging into my CAO account and I got my first choice on the level 6/7 list.

But not sure to take it or not.

Anyone here on the course?
    What can you tell me about it?
    Boring, interesting?

What about job opps / placement on the course?

Carlow IT in general?
    Worth travelling from Newbridge? or best option to get accom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For accomodation hit up the itcarlow site. I'll linky you to the accomodation data here:
    http://www.itcarlow.ie/curr_accommodation.asp?top_section=1&lower_section=2&lower2_section=6&sel_sect=22&uid=itcarlow

The PDF files have the full listings.
    I don't know too much about the AS course - did work with a guy last year who was in it though he seemed enthused but I didnt really get too much opportunity to speak about it ever. He does tell me though that the ITC keeps a Jet Engine for you skittles to tinker around with - but i spend my days in lectures and the library building (Games Dev.), so I've never seen it.

If you go to http://maps.google.com and select the Hybrid View it should be pretty easy to spot Carlow, and ITC will be in the south of the town. All the accomodation available is really within that 5-15 minute radius of the campus.

The Campus isnt huge but it does boast the best computer system of any of the IT's, the largest anyway. The main library building is pretty nice, and theres a modest gym and this year they're installing all weather pitches for the 5-a-side soccer league.

Then theres ample amounts of ****e to do like drink, naturally enough - you got the Foundry (worked there) and the Music Factory and umpteen other pubs. Its all effectively in walking distance.

Part time work should be easy to find if/when you get down here. As far as course-related work you'd have to ask the careers people at ITC - they do manage to hook my course up to a Games company in Dublin for summer placement.

Newbridge....damn, son. Thats gotta be one long ass train ride I would suspect.
    EDIT: ugh what was i smoking last night... I looked up Letterkenny - not Newbridge.... |:-/

So all in all how did you actually do on the LC?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

ThatGuy wrote:
    Worth travelling from Newbridge? or best option to get accom?

i used to travel from newbridge every day, it sucks.

if your driving you'll get stuck in traffic jams at castledermot twice a day, bus's are usually behind schedule and the train station in carlow is a 20/25 min walk from the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Carlow IT in general is a great college and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I guarantee you'll have fun there anyway.

As for commuting, it can be good for saving a few quid but I wouldn't recommend it. As Kamikazi said you'll get stuck in traffic and the town itself will take at least 10 minutes to get through. After a few months of getting up early and going to bed late 5 days a week you'll be wishing you got accomodation.

I've done both and the advantages of staying down there far outweigh those of commuting for me.

Advertisement