Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #3 - Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Ah I remember this so well - the tight pants, the massive hair, and the language, such attrocious language (according to mother - but I secretly suspect that maybe she wanted to plonk Mr Rose) - but damn it was fun to listen to back then, and its still ****ing fun nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Amazing album, one that got the ball rolling in my love affair with decent music.
    I had it cranked up in the car recently and it just doesnt seem to age.
    Has to be a near perfect record as there is not a bad tune on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ok, not what I voted for, but still definately a classic album. One of the greatest ever. Cant go wrong with It's so Easy or Rocket Queen. One of the most finely produced albums in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Definately one of my favourite rock albums of all time.

With very few exceptions, everything on that album is perfect. WTTJ is such an intricate song, full of attitude. The same goes for most songs on here, so well constructed and layered, yet due to the lyrics and general tone of the songs, it really sounds like they just don't give a fúck.

It's an album that makes you want to get up, rock out and scream, "YEEEAHHH!!!!", but without being cringeworthy or contrived like the glam rock music of the time.

It's just... great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

man what a great album, as stated above it would be one of the great albums that got me into rock/metal (along with a thin lizzy tape someone gave me!)
    then X years later when i got my first cd player, it was one of the first cds i got. awesome album, sounds so audacious and carefree, yet still so intelligent.
    great album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

good choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I had a really hard time ever getting into GNR and this is the only album of theres that I own.
    It's a good album and enjoyable on every listen. Some great songwriting and production has helped stand the test of time, and the test of GNR's career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This was the second Guns N' Roses album I bought after Use Your Illusion 1. I picked it up on tape sometime around 1992 or so and was promptly blown away. What an album! Often on an album there are some weak tracks that are just filler but this album has none. Sure there are some songs that aren't as good as the heavy-hitters but I'm sure if I said song x or song y, I'd have a dozen posters after me saying song x is my favourite :)

This album should really be a required purchase for any hard rock/metal fan. It's a testament to it that 20 years after it first came out, it still rocks! In fact, I'm off to listen to it right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Awesome album and 20th anniversary has just gone by. Paradise City is my favourite song, especially live. It's So Easy, Sweet Child and Rocket Queen are awesome. All the songs are great. Can't go wrong with lyrics like this:

"I see you standin' there
    You think you're so cool
    Why don't you just
    **** off

Ya get nothin' for nothin'
    If that's what ya do
    Turn around bitch I got a use for you
    Besides you ain't got nothin' better to do
    And I'm bored
    "
    Sung in low voice over that sleazy riff its just awesome.

I saw Velvet Revolver at Download 2005. They were playing a pretty good set of their own stuff but the buzz that went around the crowd when they launched into Mr. Brownstone was fantastic. It was awesome to hear thousands of people singing along.
    I seem to remember reading an interview with someone from the band who was saying that Steven Adler's drumming was all over the place during the recording. Now I've listened to the album a lot but I can't hear any drumming screw ups. Does anyone else recall that interview? Also Adler has to be one of the hardest people ever. Imagine being kicked out of Guns N' Roses for being too much of a party animal and yet still being alive over 15 years later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

malice_ wrote:
    I saw Velvet Revolver at Download 2005. They were playing a pretty good set of their own stuff but the buzz that went around the crowd when they launched into Mr. Brownstone was fantastic. It was awesome to hear thousands of people singing along.
    I seem to remember reading an interview with someone from the band who was saying that Steven Adler's drumming was all over the place during the recording. Now I've listened to the album a lot but I can't hear any drumming screw ups. Does anyone else recall that interview? Also Adler has to be one of the hardest people ever. Imagine being kicked out of Guns N' Roses for being too much of a party animal and yet still being alive over 15 years later!

It wasnt on Appetite it was during the Illusions. The first song they recorded was Civil War. Adler was so out of it that they recorded 60 drum takes to finally get it right and even then they had to edit together the drum take for the song. That's why he was sacked. Slash was taking just as much but according to Axl "Slash could play great guitar on a lot of drugs" so they reacted in different ways to drugs I guess.

Then again, as Adler later pointed out, it was obvious which of the members wasted the most time due to unpredictable behaviour, but of course ya can't sack Axl so Adler was used as scapegoat for the album delay. It's sort of ironic that Adler was sacked for taking too long to record Civil War yet Axl has now spent well over a decade on Chinese Democracy.

Apparently the only thing that's kept Adler alive all these years is the prospect of a GnR reunion which nobody else wants, particularly Axl. Imagine they did reunite (very unlikely) but chose Matt Sorum as drummer (very likely if reunion did happen). Think that could be the end of Steven.

It wasnt on Appetite it was during the Illusions. The first song they recorded was Civil War. Adler was so out of it that they recorded 60 drum takes to finally get it right and even then they had to edit together the drum take for the song. That's why he was sacked. Slash was taking just as much but according to Axl "Slash could play great guitar on a lot of drugs" so they reacted in different ways to drugs I guess.
    That sounds right. Sorry, it's a long time since I read the interview. I'd gotten it confused :)
    Then again, as Adler later pointed out, it was obvious which of the members wasted the most time due to unpredictable behaviour, but of course ya can't sack Axl so Adler was used as scapegoat for the album delay. It's sort of ironic that Adler was sacked for taking too long to record Civil War yet Axl has now spent well over a decade on Chinese Democracy.
    Didn't Axl once stop a G N' R performance to threaten to quit the band if certain other members didn't stop the drug-taking? The whole Chinese Democracy topic is for another thread so I won't get into it here but the G N' R name is now Axl's so he can do with it what it likes.
    Apparently the only thing that's kept Adler alive all these years is the prospect of a GnR reunion which nobody else wants, particularly Axl. Imagine they did reunite (very unlikely) but chose Matt Sorum as drummer (very likely if reunion did happen). Think that could be the end of Steven.
    There are quite a few fans all over the world who would like to see a reunion (me included) but it's supposedly unlikely. At least until they start running out of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

malice_ wrote:
    That sounds right. Sorry, it's a long time since I read the interview. I'd gotten it confused :)

Didn't Axl once stop a G N' R performance to threaten to quit the band if certain other members didn't stop the drug-taking? The whole Chinese Democracy topic is for another thread so I won't get into it here but the G N' R name is now Axl's so he can do with it what it likes.

There are quite a few fans all over the world who would like to see a reunion (me included) but it's supposedly unlikely. At least until they start running out of money.

A GnR reunion?? Not f**king likely. A) because they just don't get along anymore, and B), Axl would have to get THAT album off his chest before any reunion can happen.

In short, no f**kin chance.

EDIT: AFD, probably my second fave album behind Master Of Puppets.

A GnR reunion?? Not f**king likely. A) because they just don't get along anymore, and B), Axl would have to get THAT album off his chest before any reunion can happen.

In short, no f**kin chance.
    We all realise Guns N' Roses reunion probably stands as much a chance of happening as a reunion for The Beatles. It doesn't change the fact that it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Appettite absolutely rules. Is and always will be one of my all time favourite albums. Every single song is perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Probably in my top 10. Great album. I remember listening to welcome to the jungle over and over when i first heard it, My Michelle also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The only song I dislike from AFD is Anything Goes. Otherwise, the album is a corker!!!:D

Advertisement