Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Registration

Options
  • 20-08-2007 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hey, I got offered Pharmacy in UCC and I am just reading about the registration procedure.

http://www.ucc.ie/academic/calendar/general/info014i.htm

Although, I cannot find the Part I of the online registration on the site?

Anyone know where it is?

Thanks,

Lucas10101

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭megs_88

I don't think it's available yet

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Lucas10101 wrote:
    Hey, I got offered Pharmacy in UCC and I am just reading about the registration procedure.

http://www.ucc.ie/academic/calendar/general/info014i.htm

Although, I cannot find the Part I of the online registration on the site?

Anyone know where it is?

Thanks,

Lucas10101
    I am sure that they will send you out details in time, Don't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Isnt pharmacy 560 this year and not 465?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

JSK 252 wrote:
    Isnt pharmacy 560 this year and not 465?
    he got it through access

he got it through access

Im confused. Explain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

I'm not too sure how it works. My friend got Law with 410 last year through it

http://www.ucc.ie/access/

So like, you can get into a course with a substantial deduction in points just because somebody lives in an area which is classed as being socially and economically underdeveloped?

What about those poor people who work their assess off to get 560 ( some of whom wouldnt be considered wealthy) to do Pharmacy in UCC and still dont get in because of random selection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

JSK 252 wrote:
    So like, you can get into a course with a substantial deduction in points just because somebody lives in an area which is classed as being socially and economically underdeveloped?

What about those poor people who work their assess off to get 560 ( some of whom wouldnt be considered wealthy) to do Pharmacy in UCC and still dont get in because of random selection?

The access program is designed for those students who without the aid of this grant would not be able to further their education.

And if you get accepted into the program ... you can apply for a course that is out of your reach pointwise. Although you have to get 80-90% of the points required for that course. The meaning for this JSK 252, is that the 'grant people' feel that the reason they didnt get the full amount of points was down to circumstances and not academic ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fob

You mean to say this sack of sh1t gets into a course with intellectual superiors because his old man sits on his arse, draws the dole, drinks away the family money, and beats his wife?

JSK, you are spot on man. This is a disgrace. As usual, the 'disadvantaged' are given immensely preferential treatment at the expense of the honest, decent, hard-working joe soap. A sad, sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

so im gonna study nursing in cork where i could of used this access thing and be studying med?????

fair play to him!! think we shall be receiving all the info in the post in 4/5 working days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

fob wrote:
    You mean to say this sack of sh1t gets into a course with intellectual superiors because his old man sits on his arse, draws the dole, drinks away the family money, and beats his wife?

JSK, you are spot on man. This is a disgrace. As usual, the 'disadvantaged' are given immensely preferential treatment at the expense of the honest, decent, hard-working joe soap. A sad, sad day.

fob banned roysh. Back the South Side with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

fob wrote:

Youre an absolute disgrace, at least have the balls to show us your real username when deciding to attack a board member instead of running off to create a new account...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Its not the picture people paint. The Education Authorities believe that the vast majority of people from "Disadvantaged" areas are much much less likely to be getting further education. This is a system whereby it gives those people a chance rather than not picking it, thus increasing the amount of "Disadvantaged" people who seem to be underrepresented at third level.

u found somewhere to live in cork lucas?

Yes. a nice place worth €3,500, well worth it as well. Moving on 1st September.

yeah-boy wrote:
    The access program is designed for those students who without the aid of this grant would not be able to further their education.

And if you get accepted into the program ... you can apply for a course that is out of your reach pointwise. Although you have to get 80-90% of the points required for that course. The meaning for this JSK 252, is that the 'grant people' feel that the reason they didnt get the full amount of points was down to circumstances and not academic ability.

This is killing me, it really is. Now the points for pharmacy have gone up another 5 points in UCC! This is what I hope to do in 2 years time. I find it totally unfair considering some of my own friends arent wealthy and are decent run of the mill people.

Lots of people have circumstances which are beyond their control. Circumstances cant be measured into points.

May I add that its great for the OP that he has got this fantastic opportunity to do a prestigous degree at a prestigious university. Im not directing my annoyance towards him.

I'm sorry you feel that way about it, and I understand how it seems to be unfair. Sometimes I think I have "Stolen" a rightful place of a 560 pointer who was denied a place. But on the other hand, am delighted I am getting this opportunity.

I got 465 points. 80% of 560 was 440 and 90% was 490, so I got 85% and was lucky to be picked on the Access Program at all, never mind getting Pharmacy, which was just really lucky to get the two of them.

Read my other post as to the reasons, as there is an argument for both.

im gonna be homeless when i go to cork!! actually homeless!! so i might need a sofa to sleep on for a while???

Do a search, there's two places left in the Accommodation I'm in at the moment.

Do a search for Arcadia Hall i.e Powellandlong.ie

iv emailed there loads n they aint replyin, jus dont want me i guess

• Advertisement

I emailed them yesterday and Regina Baylor still hasn't replied. Which address did you email, was it just regina@powellandlong.ie or did you do another one?

i used both!!!

i might call soon if i still dont get word back, at least the rest of the places have emailed back saying there is no room

Do they send you the keys in the post or are they at the apartments when you move in??

I contacted Regina a few weeks ago about reserving a place and she was very prompt, but now she isn't..lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭megs_88

anyone got their packs yet? waiting on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

what about near Colaiste Stiofain Naofa??

how far is it from the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daycentcorkfeen

CSN is near enough to the city; on the number three bus route, about 35 miniute walk!

JSK 252 wrote:
    This is killing me, it really is. Now the points for pharmacy have gone up another 5 points in UCC! This is what I hope to do in 2 years time. I find it totally unfair considering some of my own friends arent wealthy and are decent run of the mill people.

Lots of people have circumstances which are beyond their control. Circumstances cant be measured into points.

May I add that its great for the OP that he has got this fantastic opportunity to do a prestigous degree at a prestigious university. Im not directing my annoyance towards him.

The only unfair aspect of the Access Programme is that it focuses on a very small number of schools within disadvantaged areas, so people who go to schools outside these catchment areas may be worse off and not get a place on access.

The schools that are included are within working class areas and there is a very high level of academic under-achievement. Very few pupils would be able to purchase grinds, so while flawed, it is the best thing we have at the moment.

Access programme is an excellent initiative which allows people reach their full potential in college and I am very proud to be an access graduate. UCC access prog are fantastic as well. Those who criticise it are usually the people who have so much help in form of private schools or private tuition (something very few access students would have) and are simply jealous that with such a huge advantage over a lot of students, a course is offered to somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

CSN is near enough to the city; on the number three bus route, about 35 miniute walk!

what about accommodation??

mars bar wrote:
    what about accommodation??

Well areas close to CSN are :

Ballyphehane,
    Togher,
    Turners Cross,
    Greenmount,
    The Lough,
    Glasheen

as for where to find accom, dont know, never have to :P