Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100extra points for staying in til 7pm?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine told me that his sister got 100 bonus points in the Leaving Cert as she attended supervised study in her school until 7pm every day during 5th and 6th year. I have never heard of this and just wondering does it actually exist? If it does, it strikes me as very unfair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Load of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

This "friend" is bull****ting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Thats the biggest pile of steaming BS Ive ever seen about the CAO points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

fletch wrote:
    A friend of mine told me that his sister got 100 bonus points in the Leaving Cert as she attended supervised study in her school until 7pm every day during 5th and 6th year. I have never heard of this and just wondering does it actually exist? If it does, it strikes me as very unfair.
    Don't take it seriously, I think she means that her consistent work paid off over the two years and she estimates that she got 100 more points because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Don't take it seriously, I think she means that her consistent work paid off over the two years and she estimates that she got 100 more points because of it

Perhaps but the word 'bonus' suggests otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Perhaps but the word 'bonus' suggests otherwise
    Maybe it does suggest otherwise but it simply can not be true, i am just looking at the most likely reason for this statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Maybe it does suggest otherwise but it simply can not be true, i am just looking at the most likely reason for this statement.

Agreed, that's the only explanation it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

lol wtf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You could always ask to look at her result sheet - that'll tell you pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭fletch

Overheal wrote:
    You could always ask to look at her result sheet - that'll tell you pretty quickly.
    Just found out she got the course she was looking for. She would require the extra 100 points to get it so perhaps there's some truth in it. Think I'm gona ask to see her result sheet alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

no there is no truth in it. end of!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

lol, absolute crap.
    I stayed in for supervised study, but didn't get any 'bonus' points or anything like that. On that though,I'd very safely say I would've gotton less points if I hadnt gone to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

fletch wrote:
    Just found out she got the course she was looking for. She would require the extra 100 points to get it so perhaps there's some truth in it. Think I'm gona ask to see her result sheet alright.
    Are you one of those people who thought I actually paid off the CAO in order to get my courses changed back in July? :rolleyes:

Your friend's sisters, brother's mother's daughter is bull****ting. The only way you can get 100 extra points in the leaving cert is to spend the previous year doing hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

ROFLs.....if you stay till 9 you can move up to lvl 57 ass kisser way quicker and you'll also get the anti-detention armour to boot!!!!! :p

Sorry....I'm lurking about here because I'm waiting on any news on the vacany list tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

fletch wrote:
    . I have never heard of this and just wondering does it actually exist?r.
    There's a reason you've never heard of it...
    Or do you think one particular school found some obscure bonus scheme and kept it to itself from all other schools so nobody else can avail of it? Come on, think it through!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭fletch

ixoy wrote:
    There's a reason you've never heard of it...
    Or do you think one particular school found some obscure bonus scheme and kept it to itself from all other schools so nobody else can avail of it? Come on, think it through!
    Yes I did think it through and thought it was absolute bull****, however my mates friend is from a "disadvantaged" area and the things they seem to get for free sometimes surprise me so I thought maybe it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Maybe he is on the HEAR scheme, and subsequently offered a course for 100 points less than usually required:confused:
    I don't know how this scheme operates tbh.

Well now that you mention it, some third level institutions have special "reach" programmes which are aimed at encouraging students from disadvantaged areas to attend college. There could very well be a course that she applied to take advantage of this scheme but it would have been a seperate course code to the rest of them so it doesn't really affect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

What a load of %^(^&%(&!!! Ah no seriously, not true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'd actually imagine that this is true but not the way your friend meant.

I mean you would want to be a complete idiot to have stayed in school for two years until 7pm and not learn enough to get yourself the extra 100 points in the Leaving Cert. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

What course did she get? Maybe they meant it in an encouraging sense...implying that if you work hard, you'll get an extra 100 points.

I think I may have found the answer to this:mad:

*clicky*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I got a 50 points boost because I was on the access programme when I started university.

Ah that's the name of them, for some reason I thought they were called "Reach" programmes. Am I right in thinking that you had to apply to a specific course (i.e one that was seperate from the main course code?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

My friend just got offered Arts in UCC, even though she got 300, through the Access programme, and she just applied normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Selphie wrote:
    My friend just got offered Arts in UCC, even though she got 300, through the Access programme, and she just applied normally.

What are the requirements for the Access Programme?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This gives a bit of background on Access programmes - apologies for plugging ghastly mass produced 'bread'.

http://www.cuisinedefrance.com/marketing/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

fletch wrote:
    I'm sure it helped but you can't pin 100 points on that alone.

Don't let the school hear that statement or else they'll be quoting her in promoting it! Might up the price too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

fletch wrote:

This is totally true I was at the ceremony last week and let me tell you the golden platter they hand them to you on is something else.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Umm, bonus points for supervised study does exist. I got a 100 point top up back in the day when I did the Leaving.

Very handy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement