Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmarnock willow.

Options
  • 20-08-2007 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Kilmarnock willow in the front garden. It's that time of year where the leaves are changing colour getting ready to fall. Should I prune it back now and if so, how much should I take of it? It is about 5 feet tall and about the same in diameter (around the weeping branches).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello smashey.
    I would leave off pruning for a little while yet as willows have a tendency to bleed if cut while still actively growing.
    Winter would be your best pruning time.

First, totally cut away any unwanted upright shoots that have been produced from the main stem.

Then leaving a short stub, prune away all damaged and dead branches, you will find quite a quantity of them up underneath the canopy in older specimens.

Every 5th pruning year cut all the branches back to within a few inches of the main stem, this allows a total refresh of the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Thanks Irish Gardener.

Advertisement