Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quick and Dirty CAO FAQ!

Options
  • 20-08-2007 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share what I know with those who may be uncertain of what to do at this stage.

What happens if I don't accept the course I have been offered?
    If you fail to reply to the CAO by the closing date (28th August, 2007 by 17:15) then you are giving up your place on that course. You may still receive an offer in Round two but only for courses that are higher in preference to your initial offer. Eg: If you don't accept an offer for your 2nd preference course, you WILL NOT be offered your 3rd or 4th (and so on) preferences. The only offer you can receive is for your 1st choice but this is not to be relied upon and it is recommended to accept whatever you get to ensure you have a college place!

Can I accept a Level 6/7 and a Level 8 offer?
    You can only have one acceptance in the CAO system at any one time. If you, for example, accept your Level 8 offer and then subsequently accept your Level 7 offer then your second acceptance supersedes your first and you 're giving up your first acceptance and will no longer be entitled to the course.

I got the points I need and met the requirements, but wasn't offered a place!!!!
    Back in February when you were completing your application, each candidate was assigned a random number. In the case of two or more students being tied for the last available place in a course, this random number comes into play and candidates are offered places based on the size of their random number. Some candidates may argue that this is an unfair method but it is probably the most efficient and impartial method of allocating places.

I got the points I need, but wasn't offered a place!!!
    This is slightly different to the above and is usually due to the candidate failing to meet the subject requirements such as a C3 in 2HL subjects. To find out more information regarding course requirements please refer to the website of the HEI in question (full list HERE)

I accepted my offer online but got a offer in the post, what do I do?
    The CAO specifically advise that you accept online OR return your offer by post and state that you MUST NOT DO BOTH. Suffice to say, if you accepted online, that's all you need to do and you can ignore the postal offer.

How long do I have to think over my offer?
    You must accept your offer by 28th August, 2007 by 17:15pm. Bear in mind that the CAO claims no liability for any technical glitches that may prevent you from accepting your offer on time. That's to say, if you visit the site at 17:10 on August 28th and the page won't load, then you're in a whole world of trouble!

What is the vacant/available places list?
    Some colleges may have vacant places for some of their courses. These courses are open to applications from Tuesday, 21st August. If you accept a Vacant Place offer then it supersedes any other offer you have accepted prior to it. The Available Place Courses list can be found HERE.

I need to contact CAO, how do I do it?
    The CAO state that at this time of the year, it is very difficult to contact the organisation by phone. Therefore it is recommended that you contact them using their website. Be sure to include all relevant information with your query to ensure a prompt and efficient response.

That's all I can think of for the moment, feel free to ask any questions or add to the FAQ below :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Just to make absolutely sure, I just have to click "Accept" on the site and then am required to take no further action(ie. I'll just get correspondance from Trinity in the next few days/weeks)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

After you click accept you will receive a confirmation email (but only if you initially provided an email address when registering with CAO) which states:
    The offering institution will send you material about registration. Any
    further enquiry about the course or registration should be addressed
    to the Admissions Office of the institution - not to CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Ah right, I should have really read that email :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

^^
    CAO Handbook for all your other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Just to make it clear for people, if you accept your 2nd/3rd/4th offer, and subsequently in round two the points change* so that you have enough for an offer that is higher than the one you accepted, you will receive an offer for that course that you didn't initially have the points for.

*Obviously theres other reasons why more spaces may become available.

From the Handbook:
    Later offers for higher preference
    If you are being offered a place in a course which is not
    your first preference, you may subsequently be offered a
    place in a course of higher preference if such a place
    becomes available.
    This applies whether or not the earlier offer has been
    accepted. It is NOT necessary to accept an offer in order to
    be considered for a higher preference if it becomes available
    later.

Theres a serious amount of people who don't know this on these boards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement