Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal Top 5 Sides Right Now

• 20-08-2007 11:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Basically, like ronseal - its written on the tin. What is everyones top 5 footballing sides right now?

I am aware its the start of the season and hard to tell, but I think that makes it all the more fun as we have only seen a few games from each side in the PL and then none at all from spain or italy. When making your decision you are also going to have to try and predict both the CL and respective leagues so you might have to put a bit of thought in instead of looking at the league tables :p

for me it would be something like this:

5. - Bayern Munich
    They have come out of the blocks as fast as ppl thought they would after reshaping their side over the summer. I saw the highlights of the Rostock game and by golly gosh do they look like a slick operation. Ribery is a tip top player and Im actually very annoyed he didnt come to the premiership as I would love to watch him week in / week out. Toni is quality and will get results and in case he doesnt they only have Klose and Podolski as backup :rolleyes:
    Schweinsteiger is quality also as is Lahm, Ze Roberto and Van Bommel. I think Ballack was an awful eedjit to leave as he could be captaining a side that will win the CL... in 2009 of course :p I think they will have the Bundesliga wrapped up by April and Luca Toni will be the top scorer and the UEFA cup might not be a stroll, but I reckon they can beat Valencia and Spurs. A class act all over the park.

4. - Inter Milan
    Again, another quality side and judging by their run of games last season, a smooth operation. This is a side where Brazils golden boy and resident pro evo 6 cheater Adriano finds it difficult to get game time... and who would blame him with Crespo, Ibrahimovic and Cruz all looking to start aswell. Cambiasso and Veira are as good as any midfield pairing in the world and stankovich is quality also. Zanetti is talismanic and (probably) the best right back in the world.
    A top team that play very exciting football all across the pitch. Their biggest problem in my eyes will be replacing all their aging stars such as veira, crespo, zanetti and cordoba. If they get their heads together they could be serious CL contenders this season, I doubt they will win it but I certainly wouldnt like to be drawn against them.

3. - AC Milan
    ooooohhhhh.... Yes I know I have placed them above Inter even though Inter won the league last season but if you look at their squad you can see the reasons Ive put them above. In my eyes their first XI is the most effective side on the planet. They can do everything on the pitch. They can apply serious attacking pressure when they need to, they can hold up the ball and keep possesion, they can counter attack extremely quickly down the wings with jankolovski and Oddo as full backs. Pirlo and Gattuso are the perfect balance, Seedorf is a workhorse... and of course in attack they have Ronaldo and my personnal "best player in the world" atm - Kaka.
    They have the perfect balance you look for in a side and it will be no surprise to me that the Scudetto might move to the Rosseineri by the close of the season. I have to admit, I am an Inter fan which is why it pains me to say these things but as a footballing fan, they are just a marvel to watch.

2. - Barcelona
    Ronaldinho, Lionel Messi, Samuel Eto'o, Thierry Henry, Xavi, Andre Iniesta, Carles Puyol, Lillian Thuram, Gianluca Zambrotta, Juliano Belletti, Victor Valdes.
    on the bench - Eidur Gudjohnsen, Deco, Thiago Motta, Rafael Marquez, Edmilson, Albert Jorquera.

Says it all really :D

1. - Chelsea
    Yes, I know a contentious choice. I honestly believe though that they are the best team in the world at the moment though. They have a frightening squad with amazing depth. They can apply an unbelievable amount of pressure while feeling very comfortable at the back. They can move the ball about the pitch with ease and they can make a goal out of nothing. They have a manager who is the ultimate in letting a team express themselves. They are the only team in the world with a world class player in every posistion on the pitch (except right back :p ) and the cover they have is extrmemly solid. Chelsea can set up in just about any formation and play any style of football you ask them to. An attacking 4-3-3, a tradtional 4-4-2 with a solid midfield line, a defensive / counter attacking 4-5-1 and so on.
    When it comes to the players they are spoilt for choice. Drogba is just so tough and strong and has become one of the best finishers in the game. Scheva regardless of his nightmare last season is still world class (i think we may see that for 2007/2008), the same with Michael Ballack. Frankie Lamps is an extremely reliable midfielder who takes more stick then he probably deserves ("another Big Mac Frank?".. "oh, I couldnt possibly.... what the hell, I'll have a large fries and 6 chicken nuggets too"). And then there is Michael Essien. Easily the best buy Jose has made. He is everything you want in a modern midfielder. He gets goals, he can play anywhere on the pitch, he loves to play, he is a leader, hes an excellent ball player, he wont ever tire and hes stronger the the current governor of California. Their back line is rock hard and they happen to have Cech in nets who, if it wasnt for Buffon at Juve, would be the best keeper in the world. The fact that Utd won the league last season is made all the better just due to the fact that they were able to place ahead of chelsea. A monster of a team and in my eyes, one of the best the planet has ever seen.

Well, thats my list. I know it probably wont agree with yours and the Utd fans will want me hung! they came 6th tho :p
    Its a tough list to compile and I honestly believe that between the 10 best teams in the world any of them can beat the others on their day. If you think about it, we are spoilt for choice in football nowadays. there are so many good sides and enjoyable players to watch. The expectations are so high for some teams nowadays, its almost become ludicrous... which in my eyes makes someone like Eamonn Dunphy sound like even more of a twat then a presenter on the weakest link... oh wait. To say everything is "hype" is just trying to pander to a select audience who more "want" to believe that certain players are crap (C. Ronaldo) rather then actually being objective and realising that we are looking at the best footy of our lifetimes.
    oh and in case you were wondering, Man utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Lyon and Real Madrid are the other teams filling out my top ten, dunno in wat order though :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lyon are bottlers on the big stage. I'd put Real Madrid ahead of them easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Chelsea? I presume thats a joke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Lyon are bottlers on the big stage. I'd put Real Madrid ahead of them easily.

yeah, i just thought about that. Id put Real in my top 10 either above Sevilla or Lyon. Probably Sevilla as it justifies itself

just edited so its that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wait, do you mean footballing sides in the sense of who's the best, or footballing sides in terms of attacking pretty football?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote:
    Wait, do you mean footballing sides in the sense of who's the best, or footballing sides in terms of attacking pretty football?

the best team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

5. Bayern Munich.
    4. Chelsea
    3. Real Madrid
    2. Inter Milan
    1. Barcelona

On paper I'd put United above Chelsea, but we aren't doing well in the final 3rd at the moment, with 2 goals in 4 games, so I'm leaving United out of my list til we pick up some form, probably in about 3 months. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

with a bit of luck ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well, I'd wait until the other leagues start then :) If you had this thread 3 weeks ago I'm pretty sure United would have been in it :) That said, since you want the challenge :P

Barca
    Real Madrid
    Man Utd
    Cheslea
    Inter
    AC Milan

Have to eliminate one, so it'll be Real Madrid.

Lyon are a big fish in a small pond, have never shown anything impressive in the CL.
    Bayern aren't even in the CL this year. They'd want to win the league with the amount they've spent, and their central defense and central midfield isn't top class.

United once they get one of the strikers back will be very very good for the rest of the season, imagine if Saha had been on the pitch with the domination of the last three matches, he'd be top scorer in the PL.
    Barca are clear, their attack is unreal, their defense is very strong now.
    Real Madrid I think have made the right signings, and with Ruud at the front, I think they'll do well.
    Inter's team is impressive to say the least, maybe not in the CL, but in terms of league consistancy.
    AC Milan have Kaka, Pirlo, and Gattuso, undoubtably the best midfield in the world.

10. Bayern
    9. Sevilla
    8. Lyon
    7. Real Madrid
    6. Liverpool
    5. Chelski
    4. Man United
    3. Inter
    2. Barcelona
    1. AC Milan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

1,Barcelona
    2,Inter
    3,Milan
    4, Chelsea
    5 ,Sevilla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

with a bit of luck ;)
    ah - with a bit of luck we'd be top of the table on 9 points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I would put Bayern into the Top 5. I hate them with a passion, but they really have signed some great players. And I believe that they would give every team in the CL a run for their money this year.

The demolished Bremen away 4:0 at the weekend, and Ribery has been a big star so far.

my List:

10. Sevilla
    9. Liverpool
    8. Real Madrid
    7. Manu
    6. Inter Milan
    5. Valencia
    4. Bayern
    3. AC Milan
    2. Chelsea
    1. Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1 Barcelona (Front 4 contains probably 4 of the top ten in the world)
    2 Chelsea (Best GK, Def and Drogba)
    3 Milan (Kaka)
    4 Man Utd (Young, talented forwards and wingers. Still have doubts about Ferdinand)
    5 Liverpool (After Chelsea they have best defence, and probably up their with Milan for best CM's)
    6 Real Madrid (If they get the best out of Robben they could be much higher)
    7 Inter
    8 Arsenal
    9 Valencia
    10 Bayern Munich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

Jazzy wrote:

4. - Inter Milan
    Again, another quality side and judging by their run of games last season, a smooth operation. This is a side where Brazils golden boy and resident pro evo 6 cheater Adriano finds it difficult to get game time... and who would blame him with Crespo, Ibrahimovic and Cruz all looking to start aswell. Cambiasso and Veira are as good as any midfield pairing in the world and stankovich is quality also. Zanetti is talismanic and (probably) the best right back in the world.
    A top team that play very exciting football all across the pitch. Their biggest problem in my eyes will be replacing all their aging stars such as veira, crespo, zanetti and cordoba. If they get their heads together they could be serious CL contenders this season, I doubt they will win it but I certainly wouldnt like to be drawn against them.

:) brought a small tear to my eye that, as in fm2007 my beloved team are all aged and gone/rotated out of it/dont have the killer instinct any more... in 2013 though viera still rises to the occasion!

/edit, would love inter to win some cl action this year. PS channel 5 in the uk are now showing some italian league action inter v udinesse next sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

1) Barcelona
    2) AC Milan
    3) Real Madrid
    4) Bayern
    5) Man Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Haha how did so many people turn this from top 5 to 10?
    1)Chelsea
    2)Inter
    3)Barcelona
    4)Man Utd
    5)Milan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

5. Inter
    - For the sheer constistency of the quality at this club, they deserve to be in the top 5. Great strikers, fantastic midfield with Cambiasso and Vieira, solid defence. I think they have to be seen as the form team in Italy, but I do think they lack a really great player, a Kaka or a Zidane, who can weave a bit of magic at the absolute highest level. Contenders in any competition they enter, though.

4. Chelsea
    - In my opinion, on paper, Chelsea have the best 'squad' of players in the world. Even without the injured Ballack and Shevchenko, and with Arjen Robben arsing around with Real Madrid, they can still field a front 5 of Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Florent Malouda, Michael Essien and Shaun Wright-Phillips - staggering. Mourinho (one of the world's best) has crafted a great and effective team from his squad, but it is only his failure - and it might not even be possible - to accommodate the entirety of the squad's best talent in the first XI that keeps them from top spot.

3. Manchester United
    United don't really have the strength in depth of Chelsea, or indeed Inter, but they do have a terrifyingly good first XI. Any team with Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez will perform, but United also have great balance - based around the great Paul Scholes - coupled with a top class defence. The lack of a reliable leading-line striker and vulnerability to injuries are weaknesses, but unquestionably United are one of the best teams in the world.

2. AC Milan
    The epitome of a perfectly balanced team. Milan have an hilariously good midfield, with Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf and Ambrosini behind Kaka - all of whom know each other so well. They have legendary central defenders, pacy fullbacks and a great - Ronaldo - up front. They have declined somewhat since the days of Shevchenko and Maldini in his pomp, and their reliance on their greatest strength, Kaka, might be seen as worrying, but this Milan team is unquestionably one of the world's greats.

1. Barcelona
    It is easy to point to the fact that Barcelona have IMO four of the world's five best strikers (Drogba is better than Messi and possibly Henry, I think) in Messi, Henry, Eto'o and Ronaldinho as sufficient justification for calling them the world's best team, but with Iniesta, Deco and the Scholes-esque Xavi in midfield, and a pick-and-mix of the world's most renowned defenders at the back, they are a veritable dream team. With the arguable (very arguable) exception of Valdez at GK, I don't see a weakness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

1. Barcelona
    It is easy to point to the fact that Barcelona have IMO four of the world's five best strikers (Drogba is better than Messi and possibly Henry, I think) in Messi, Henry, Eto'o and Ronaldinho as sufficient justification for calling them the world's best team, but with Iniesta, Deco and the Scholes-esque Xavi in midfield, and a pick-and-mix of the world's most renowned defenders at the back, they are a veritable dream team. With the arguable (very arguable) exception of Valdez at GK, I don't see a weakness.

Barcelona are definitely the best in the world for me too, but their big players didn't seem too great at the end of last season. I'm sure they'll be back on track this season, they've added some quality players like henry, abidal, milito and toure, not to metion dos santos might come through, and maybe bojan. Really is a great squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Barcalona
    Liverpool
    Inter Milan
    AC Milan
    Scunthorpe

All on their good days of course.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal, Barcelona, Genoa, Aston Villa and River Plate. Their names are pwetty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Your top 2 should read (dont care about the rest!)
    PHB wrote:

Barca
    Real Madrid
    Man Utd
    Cheslea
    AC Milan
    Inter

Going on head to heads last season Inter did better than AC. Just a pity about Europe but Inters dodgy team did us offer (the two teams really love each other!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Man City
    Man City
    Man City
    Man City
    Everton! :p;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Kanney wrote:
    Barcalona
    Liverpool
    Inter Milan
    AC Milan
    Scunthorpe

All on their good days of course.

Scunthorpe are going to go on to do BIG THINGS, this season! I can feel it!

Advertisement