Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Envy Problem

Options
  • 20-08-2007 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We recently decided to get a new pup-Absolute CUTIE by the way-And first dog
    Kim is not happy. She goes into a serious sulk whenever the puppy is LOOKED at. Nothing violent yet, though she has tried to bight the pups head a few times. Any advice?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Sorry - I'm afraid to help you better, it would help knowing who / what Kim is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

And first dog
    Kim is not happy.

To comeongethappy :

I would have thought it was obvious who/what Kim is. ;)

The only advice I can give is lavish Kim with extra attention when the pup is around so he (Kim) will know he has n't fallen out of favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ASSUMING that Kim is a fellow dog, you don't "lavish" anything on anyone.

Everydoggy gets treated equally, they get fed seperately and the new arrival is tought to respect Kim's old rights and priviledges ..i.e. Kim's place is Kim's place ...Kim''s bowl is Kim's bowl ...Kim's toy is Kim's toy.

Kim is not forced or encouraged to share ..she will do so on her own, if she's good an ready ...or not.

In return for this protection of her status, Kim in return will be supervised and prohibited from acting overly aggressive (grumbling is ok...growling is borderline ...biting is not) against the pup ...and punished if she does.

Other than that, you stay out of it.

If Kim should happen to be a cat ..leave them to it, but get some thick leather gloves in case you have to separate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm reading this like Kim is either a child or a cat.

We're in the process of gently trying to introduce our new staffie 'Jericho' to our cat 'Sammy' and well, everything is done on Sammy's term's and it seems as though there's not a thing we can do to change that.

If Kim is a child, put it into care and taken out only for weddings, funerals and when he/she's broken through there horrible teens :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Animals_only

Kim is a 2 year old, female dog, to clear that up...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Animals_only

peasant wrote:
    and the new arrival is tought to respect Kim's old rights and priviledges ..i.e. Kim's place is Kim's place

This has been a bit of a problem... The puppy very much prefers Kim's bed to her own!! She always crawls in there at nap time... Doing my best to break the habit, though....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Sorry, I was reading it as your new pup was the first dog!

Always feed your first dog first, greet the first dog first, etc. It will help to show him that he hasn't lost his place in the social heirarchy.

It may be hard, but try to let your first dog sleep in it's normal place - perhaps try to settle the pup in a different room if possible.

Hopefully it will settle down in a few weeks. If not, then perhaps seek behaviour training with the two dogs. Good luck

Advertisement