Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CAr REntal- Need credit card????

Options
  • 20-08-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Hi I have some Relations comming to Ireland next week
    There only comming from england but are having terrible difficulty getting a hire car. ( which they never had before)
    The problem is that they don't have a credit card. they have laser or willing to pay cash
    no where will give them a car.
    Anyone any ideas.

Thanks
    Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have heard before that Avis will take a substantial deposit instead of a credit card. I don't whether or not that's just a rumour, but maybe give them a call and check it out www.avis.ie

Do you have a credit card that they could use, or would another relation be willing to offer theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's standard to take the cc numbers of people as it's less likely that the car will be treated badly or stolen. Cash never works afaik. Possibly https://www.3v.ie/ but not likely.

Is it possible for your relations to hire the car in UK and drive/ferry across?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

A few years ago I wanted to rent a car paying cash; I was willing to give credit card details for security (I didn't want to unnecessarily put a charge on my card), but I was told that they had a NO CASH policy. Worked the same with all companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

deckie27 wrote:
    are having terrible difficulty getting a hire car. ( which they never had before)

Did they manage to rent a car before without a credit card? to be honest i've never heard of any company that will rent a car without a credit card...

One reason is incase there is damage done to the car, but surely if you were paying by cash they could just make you take out their expensive collision damage waver (for the extra €15/day.. ), which means you can't be billed for any damage at all.

The second reason is incase you get lots of speeding/parking tickets, it is possible the rental company will not no anything about these for months, until they get a letter in the post, hence they want to be able to pass them onto the credit card of who ever had the car rented that day...

I'd say the main reason they will not rent for cash is the second reason above... cause they could just make you take out the CDW when renting for cash to pay damages...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It could also be in case they don't get their car back....

As for the speeding/parking tickets 6 months down the line; what if your cars has expires in the interim; how can they bill on a card they no longer have an expiry date/security number for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

i used enterprise car rental using a laser card no problem

Advertisement