Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get my X1950 to do its work

Options
  • 20-08-2007 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Well as i have stated in thread heading. When folding away my video card does not do its part and help out so to speak. I know this by looking at the readings of the temp of my video card while folding. It stays at a low 50'c. Does anyone know what i have to do to get it working ?

I was for a short while using the Beta folding program which displayed a nice image on screen, and this program did use my video card as the temps were in the high 70's. Not sure if it was the image that was using my video card process causing it to heat up or not. But im thinking maybe i should move back from the consol reading folding program to the one i used to use as it does look like it did use my video card. Also it would complete a work unit quicker then what im curently am using.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I know very little about folding but do you have a second instace of the folding client running when using the console? I would imagine the GPU acts asthough it were another processor . And for hyperthreading /extra processors/cores didnt you need an instance of the client for each processor/ hyper threading unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

No i just open up the one program and i would have thought that my cpu and video card would have worked together to work on the one folding file.

I could always open up 2 and see what happens.

I think its a bit more complicated then just opening a second client, I have an old issue if custom pc that shows you how to set up instances for multiple processors and hyperthreading and there was different things to be set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

multi and hyper threading is easy - two copies of the install directory, edit client.cfg and make sure the machine ids are different. like 0 for one and 1 for the other. I've no idea how the gpu client works though.

Yeah I thought it was something like that. Which is more complicated then simply opening the client for a second time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

The GPU is a separate client.

It needs a CPU dedicated to it too though....if you have a dual-core cpu you can run one CPU client and one GPU no problem.

All the info is on the Stanford site....but if you get stuck and need a hand give me a shout. I have spent many hours swearing at the GPU client but have it pretty much licked into shape now.

Almost a year since the last post,
    Anyways I only figured it out last night, After coming back to folding a week ago is that the GPU2 client does not support the ati 19xx range of cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You sure about that ? As i had a x1950pro running the gpu client fine.

Anti wrote: »
    You sure about that ? As i had a x1950pro running the gpu client fine.

If you still have it try it your self.
    Ya im very sure about it. With the new GPU2 client they stoped giving support to the 19xx range. Lots of unhappy folding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

They did stop supporting the old cards as they were not suited to folding or something like that. I wanted to use my X1800XT myself and couldn't.

• Advertisement

Ok i just got my self 2 cheap GTS video cards.

Just a quick question about the MB.
    Does it have to have SLI for them to work with folding ?
    Can i not pick up a P45 or 35 or x48 and the 2 cards will work in the MB but i will lose SLI ? But will work fine with folding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It has to be an sli board. the cards would not be able to communicate with eachother on a non sli board.

I had my 1950pro folding over 18 months ago, card is looong gone. Didnt realise its a newer thing. But then ive almost stopped folding completly since the ppd's have dropped down so much it makes it pointless folding on older machines.

Advertisement