Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Racism in Academia

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

May i remind the original poster that it was only a few generations ago that Irish catholics did not have the right to an education (a law put in place by her government). They had to secretly hide in "hedge schools" like a bunch of effing animals.

I want my government to always put its own citizens first in relation to education, like it's currently doing. There is no racism because she's from the UK. The demographics of this country show a huge number of young people and there is obviously going to be a bottle neck for places in Uni. Of course we should make sure that irish citizens are given first priority. After that, everyone is welcome...spain, france, uk, wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

dajaffa wrote:
    The workload for the A levels and the LC is similar, 4 A level's carries approx the same workload as 6 LC subjects, so 7 LC subjects is a bit more work but no huge difference there (granted a study done a few years ago in the UK said there was little difference in the workloads for the English courses, and on a personal level, my cousin who's now doing maths in Warick was amazed at the amount we cover in LC higher maths).

The key difference is that for the LC, for most college courses you need Irish, English, Maths and a third language, so you only have real choice for the 3 remaining subjects. If you're not good at languages, you still need to do 3, and well in them if you want a high points course.

To get the very high points you need to be getting high grades in a variety of subjects, whereas for the A levels there aren't restrictions like that at all, you can do any 3/4 subjects you like, presumaly they'll be related to what you want to do, so you only need to do well in subjects you're good at (if you so choose) which makes life a lot easier.
    My point exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just to confirm for definite something I said earlier (found out of me bro) but you have to have at least one offer from an English university to do medince before you can accepted into Ireland. Hence you can get three a's in your a-levels and still not be rewarded a place in an Irish university,I presume this is is why the op was rejected by UCD so not due to some racist running the admissions department :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

What exactly is 580 points in the A levels?

If you got less that 3 As your an idiot. A levels are actually easy.

Also damn straight those place should be given to Irish students! do you know how short we are of qualified doctors here? or how hard it is to get 580 points?

I don't think people are racist in UCD, they are probably just trying to solve the points problem in medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Matilda600

p larking - you are larking about, obviously. You have fallen into the trap of saying that both Oxford and Cambridge offered places to you . Well, that has to be a first because everyone (except you) knows that it is not allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge at the same time!!!!!!

Your story is full of flaws - would "liar" mean anythign to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Again the question has to be asked; where is the racist aspect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

p_larkin99 wrote:

this is total shíte as far as i'm concerned. during my last year at school i was invited to go to the best uni's in England with a view to doing a maths degree with them (i didnt chose to take them up on it but whatever) and they knew full well what i was doing. they were more than happy to accept IT as a grade so saying the best uni's (who by the way included cambridge, oxford, bath for me) won't accept it simply isnt true (or wasnt 3 years ago)

Hmmm...i was under the impression that you couldn't apply to both Cambridge AND Oxford. Silly me;)

EDIT: Darn someone beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Hmmm...i was under the impression that you couldn't apply to both Cambridge AND Oxford. Silly me;)

EDIT: Darn someone beat me to it!

perhaps it was Oxford brookes...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Matilda600 wrote:
    p larking - you are larking about, obviously. You have fallen into the trap of saying that both Oxford and Cambridge offered places to you . Well, that has to be a first because everyone (except you) knows that it is not allowed to apply to both Oxford and Cambridge at the same time!!!!!!

anything*

if you look at what i said earlier it was Oxbridge but whatever you clearly are right and are perfect

and quite frankly I couldn't give a shít whether you believe me or not

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Matilda600 wrote:

So instead of rebutting the countless criticisms of your previous assertion you launch a personal attack on a poster on, frankly, dubious grounds? (Off the top of my head I can come up with two ways in which his original statement can hold true; neither of which are improbable).

• Advertisement
Advertisement