Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right i want to go to dcu, but im going to have to do a plc or something, help ?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Right , I got 380 in the leaving, but got an E in honours maths, im doing the NUI maynooth maths engineering exam on the 24th and Im getting my maths paper rechecked to see can i pull a d3, but failing that i do NOT want to have to repeat leaving cert maths, i dont, its horrible. So are there any plc/HETAC courses i can do for a year that will get me into DCU for engineering or computer applications ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

BCFE

Dunboyne PLC College

That's the best I could find for you... on a quick google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

dcu have whats called open opportunities for engineering see here

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=FE

and

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=FEE

send them an email today and they will send you the application form for the interview. if you get in you have one or two years to complete the course(its up to you how many modules you take each year) and upon completion you get into the first year of the engineering course of your choice. if you do well enough you can also be allowed go straight into second year of the engineering course of your choice.

i have not done this course so dont know from personal experience but according to the info they gave me the interview is basically just to establish you are capable of doing the maths the course involves

edit; also i notice almost all dcu's engineering course are on the vacant places list so if you do the interview and they are still not filled there may be a chance they will offer you a place in one of those courses if you are ultra persuasive you are capable of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

PEAK - did you FAIL honours maths (E Grade) ???? and i registered an intrest in it, when do they send out the forms ?

PEAK - did you FAIL honours maths (E Grade) ???? and i registered an intrest in it, when do they send out the forms ?

no i did pass maths and got an a2 so i didnt have the minimum requirements to do engineering in dcu. i wont be taking my application to dcu any further though as i got my first choice on the cao

ahh ok, as a matter of intrest what course was it in dcu, and was this last year or this year ?

• Advertisement

ahh ok, as a matter of intrest what course was it in dcu, and was this last year or this year ?

what course do you mean?

i wanted to do digital media engineering in dcu when i left school(2004) but couldnt without honors maths. i did two years in related courses getting a diploma and certificate in related areas. dcu wont accept these for advanced entry this year so recommended open opportunities. i applied but decided to do digital media design in ul instead which accepts high pass maths results instead of honors maths(ul do this for alot of their courses by the way)

right the dcu website is a little confusing, if i get a FTEAC level 5 (or whatever BCFE or Dunboyne give you, can i get into engineering in DCU ???

Advertisement