Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reducing emissions - NCT

Options
  • 20-08-2007 12:30pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My car is getting a bit old now, high mileage and according to the mechanic who services it, the emissions are high due to what appears to be a blocked value in the engine. So when I got it serviced recently the chances were it was going to fail the NCT on this.

He was right, .5% over the threshold for emissions emissions, I was a bit peeved to say the least but these things happen. :rolleyes:

Question is, can I reduce the emissions using those cleaning products for engines, the additives that you mix in with your petrol or am I better off just getting rid of it and sending it to the big scrap yard in the sky? =

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    the emissions are high due to what appears to be a blocked value in the engine.

I'll assume that it's probably the crankcase breather. Can it not be repaired/cleaned/replaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

sometimes the easiest option is to drive hard, lets say 2nd or 3rd gear with rews 4000-5000 (depending of the engine) for longer time.

It heats up the cat and helps the car to pass,

but please notice that there is a risk to engine damage specially if timing belt is bad, oils are bad etc.

so at your own risk!

what car it is?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Its a 97 mondeo.. got 181k miles on the clock and apart from this its in fairly good nick.. serviced regularly.

According to the mechanic, he said its a known issue and he's seen it in a few other mondeos..

The oils are fine as are the filters as these have been changed regularly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

could you post here the value(s) of emissions, what level your car actually goes over the limit?

in the NTC test I mean

Exhaust CO/HC/Lambda?

Specially if HC is over the limit, a good trashing of the engine might do miracles (or if unlucky something else)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Dont have the results print out with me, but I'll check it this evening and post it up here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

itarumaa wrote:
    sometimes the easiest option is to drive hard, lets say 2nd or 3rd gear with rews 4000-5000 (depending of the engine) for longer time.

I naturally used the revs frequently (once the engine is warned up nicely of course) and it really does seem to help with the emissions. 39ppm vs limit of 200ppm at high idle with 106k on the clock from the recent NCT. Was 34ppm 2 years ago from previous NCT with 65k on the clock.

Advertisement