Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing on the Shannon - Advice

Options
  • 20-08-2007 1:11pm

Hey,

We rented a cruiser on the Shannon for 4 nights in Sept. and just wanted to ask a few questions re: fishing.

I've really only ever been salt-water fishing and that was years ago. I've fished in the canals more recently but i presume the type of rod and bait i was using would be unsuitable. Also, i've been using my father's rod & reel so think it's time i get one of my own.

Basically i'd like any advice on what to get. I'll be using the rod on this trip but want something suitable for more fresh water fishing (i.e. small rivers and the canals etc.) as i can't justify splashing ( ;) ) out on a new rod for just this trip. Anything in and around the €70 - €100 mark would be my budget. Preferably somewhere in Dublin City Centre. Any ideas?

Also, does anyonee have any ideas on what type of bait would be suitable, and where we could find it locally. We'll be starting off in Banagher, and heading up towards Carrick-on-Shannon and maybe a bit further North.

rivermap.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for the replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

hi
    depends on what you are fishing for really...
    if its pike you will need a certain type of rod that wouldnt be suitable really for some of the other fish namely; bream, roach, tench..
    if you can fill us in on that im sure someone will be able to help

best tackle shop is probably southside angling in dublin...
    try here www.fishingtalkireland.com/forums to get some cheap second hand stuf... (sorry for external link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

also you should check on the bye laws as regards taking of fish.

Advertisement