Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for two computers - do I need to pay twice?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I have two computers at home and want to get online with broadband on both of them. Do I need to pay for two broadband packages? I am thinking of going with NTL as I don't want a phone line. Can anyone advise?
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

LOL No you dont need to pay twice. You pay for the one line and then share that connection between the 2 pc'c with a router. Also NTL suck at the moment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, you only pay once. If the two computers are in different rooms, then you need to get a wireless broadband router to connect both computers to the line.

NTL will sell you a wireless BB router for an extra €50 one of fee (unless you get the most expensive package, then it is free) and they will install it for you.

Depending on the age of your PC's they may not have wireless built in, in which case you will also need to get wireless USB adaptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Though for more than a few PCs, using ethernet cable is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 troubled1

That helps I think, as you can see I am a technology numbnut! Another question you might be able to help with If NTL suck at the moment who would do you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

troubled1 wrote:
    That helps I think, as you can see I am a technology numbnut! Another question you might be able to help with If NTL suck at the moment who would do you recommend?

Where do you live so we know what's available to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 troubled1

D6w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Isn't it somewhere buried deep in some BB provider's T&Cs that you are allowed only to connect one single computer to that BB line and no sharing allowed? in theory...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I doubt it
    Isn't it somewhere buried deep in some BB provider's T&Cs that you are allowed only to connect one single computer to that BB line and no sharing allowed? in theory...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dampsquid wrote:
    I doubt it

Particularly as many supply wireless router/modems as standard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A public hotspot or sharing to an entire apartment block would likely contravene some T&C.

And also be silly on the regular bandwidth & Cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement