Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New media and english???

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok got royally boned with my cao choices so now the only thing available to me is new media and english, although i put it down because i thought it would somewhat appeal to me it was really just to make sure i got somthing and was always a kind of last resort.

Anyway looking at whats being studied it seems to be more geared tword the english rather than the media aspect, I mean i got an A2 in hons english for the leaving cert so i recon i would be able for it but i dont know if it will be stimulating enough. With courses like multimedia there is usually projects and presentations and hands on work and i think that type of thing would appeal to me more but im just not sure.

Basicly im in two minds about the whole thing and i was just wondering if anyone here had done the course or heard much about it and would be willing to share what its like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 goth_detective

heard abit about it....youd def be able to do it as u got an A2 in the leaving . A friend of mine is doing that course n he obly got a c£ in Hon Engliahs for his lc and hes geting on grand.

Some of it is very into the media sector but alot of it is about english literature and modern poetry and lit.

Theres quite a good mix of both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Czarina

I do NME, going into third year. First year is very easy, you do two english subjects, one cultural studies and sociology of the media per semester which is really interesting. In second year you do two english, one weird random one and technical writing! I like it, it's not too hard and related to what I want to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

I'm going into my second year of the course, and so far it's been fairly interesting. It was my first choice, though, so maybe you'd be in a different mindset.
    The modules we did for the new media part of the course did involve lots of projects and presentations and all that, and the English modules really aren't all that taxing, if that's what you're worried about. The hours are split half-and-half, like Czarina said, so the focus isn't necessarily on the English bit at all. That being said, I wouldn't do it if you had no interest in studying English at all, because you do have to put time into all the reading and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Cool sounds good so, i do enjoy english but media would be what im more so interested, Also what are the hours like for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Czarina

The hours are great, there is a lot of reading to do but you only have 12 hours in first year. The media side of it is very interesting in first year and a bit tougher in second year.

There's also a lecturer who's obsessed with Morrisey and another one that's a total nutcase which is fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 aimeeabsinthe

What kind of books do you need for this course? Is there many?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

The books are mainly for the English modules and range from plays, novels and sometimes little handbooks. In my first year, I made the mistake and bought all of the books. You will not read them all cover for cover and you have barely any time to read between books. You should look for pdfs online - for my 3rd year I got great gastby, of mice and men and several other books for free as pdfs or as ebooks.

If they say you NEED the book, go halves with a friend because the likelihood of you using it more than once, if even that, is very slim.

Take it from an English student. I study languages too but it is the English books that hurt the wallet. That's why I bought a kindle.

You'll find out the books you 'need' on the first day of each class. I am selling a few from first year still so if you are looking for any, feel free to PM me, I'm selling them very cheap anyway :) Other students do the same thing so just keep a lookout and you can save money :)

Advertisement