Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Noise on the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have just built my first PC and everything went well. When and if I had any problems I got a lot of help from many people on boards.ie most of which had the same Motherboard as I have, The ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. The Heatsink fan I installed is a Zalman CNPS9700 NT and the Case I used is a Silverstone TJ09 which has the ability to use 5 fans.
    The Issue I have with the P5W DH and the CNP9700 NT are no matter what I do, I just cant believe how noisey it is. My E6600 Core2Duo is always between 28-35 degrees in an idle state and the CPU fan runs at around 740rpm and the Powerfan at the back of the case runs at around 690 - 700rpm . I read somewhere the only thing to do is turn off Q-fan and Use Speedfan.
    Is Speedfan the only answer? I have turned off all other fans and the only noise comes from the Heatsink fan, which running at 740 – 755rpm I thought was a low speed. I had planned on using the PC as a Home Theatre PC so the noise is more than a bit disapointing . Has anybody had this problem? Should I use Speedfan?
    Thanx For any Help
    Silverstone TJ09..... http://silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=tj09&area=usa
    Zalman CNPS9700 NT.....http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=231&code=009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

If the motherboard does not manage the fans the way you like:

option 1: speed fan as you already mentioned.

option 2: Buy a fan controller.

Then experiment with different fans and see what works, maybe replace the CPU cooler if it is annoying you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

A bios update may fix it (check before installing). Q-fan should actually work but they have had trouble with it in the past.

Khannie wrote:
    A bios update may fix it (check before installing). Q-fan should actually work but they have had trouble with it in the past.

Q-fan is a ball of ****e.

The asus software that you can use to control fan speed, is a glorified front end for changing the bios setting, change to 1 of 3 profiles on offer and restart the PC.:mad:

No option to manually set the fan speeds, which a basic 3rd party app like speed fan will do just fine.

Pointless in the extreme, my old shuttle had much better fan control speed options in it's Award bios and you could also down load a shuttle XPC application that would let you manually set fan speeds/fan speed profiles.

Qfan is best skipped tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Thanx alot. I thought there would have been better fan Control in BIOS.
    Is Speedfan the best software for this?

Gerb68 wrote:
    Thanx alot. I thought there would have been better fan Control in BIOS.
    Is Speedfan the best software for this?

Well it works and does what it says on the tin:D.

Maybe there is better out, honestly don't know if there is, but I do speed fan will do the trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement