Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on a cheap, new ebay mtb.

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Came across this on ebay. Any opinions? would it be as bad as some of the €100 bikes that appear on special in Dunnes and Smyths toys and the like? It looks quite solid to me in the photo.

I'm looking for something I can lock in town without too much worry, I'd probably give this a dark paintjob first though.

Finding it a complete drag trawling through ebay/adverts.ie/buyandsell looking for a cheap commuter mtb.

Anyone any experience with these guys (wheels2ride.com). They claim to rebrand big name factory seconds and sell them on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I reckon, you'd be better off buying secondhand on Ebay..

I think you want something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ie/raleigh-sport-200-hybrid-mountain-bike-700c-wheels_W0QQitemZ180150911155QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

It's chunkier than a racer, but not too big and heavy like the bike you're looking at.

If you buy second hand, they're less likely to break due to the fact it's made it that far already, but when it's new you don't know the quality.

I say this from experience, I bought a nice racer with disc brakes etc in January, but the cheapo parts started breaking/wearing out, I had the rear cassette crack and fly apart after being cut off at speed and taking off again in a high gear (my legs must be stronger than I think!). Then there's the fact that some parts bent and buckled under pressure.

I reckon go second hand, take a chance, and you could end up with a nice brand name bike, for peanuts! And it won't be a flashy new thing, less likely to be robbed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

That doesn't look too bad alright. Missed it when I was looking today. You're right though, solid secondhand is better.

Not sure about a hybrid frame - always rode mtbs and when I got a specialized allez last year I got rid of it within 3 months. It just felt too delicate and not maneuverable enough for the daily city grind. Spent more time looking for potholes than paying attention to the traffic!

mtb and a set of slicks is the way to go I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Note carriage is GBP 40 which will add a fair bit on to that price. An Allez is a road bike, not a hybrid, and would handle completely differently.

Advertisement