Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler burnt out?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi,

Turned our gas boiler at home on without turning on the pump and only copped it after about 45 minutes. Bioler had turned itself off by then and refuses to turn itself back on.

Anyone know what the problem could be? (apart from being a dosey bas*ard!)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

have you tried turning the pump on and five minutes later ,reset the boiler.

Sounds like it's just the over heat stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

Usually theres a restart button on side of burner if in the event for one reason or another it has to cut out. Thermostat probably kicked in as the water was not circulating and it cut out to prevent overheating. As previos poster said, hit the reset button and put pump on. It is unusual that pump not set up to come on with burner ! to prevent what has happened.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Thanks folks, hopefully the reset works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

On some boiler thermostats there is a little reset button usually covered with a cap. Unscrew the cap and push in the little Button / pin and your boiler should fire up ok.

The good news is that it's unlikely that you've done any lasting damage.

If you wouldn't mind posting the make of your boiler ,if thats possible .

Very strange that you should have a seperate switch for the pump:(

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian

I hit the reset switch and switched it on after 15 minutes it fired up. The boiler make is potterton and its about ten years old.

We have been having issues with the outside of the boiler getting very hot as if its overheating and the rads seem very hot even though the boiler is barely on number 1.

We had someone in to look at it and they suggested we put a thermostat in each room which seems rediculous to me.

Any idea what could be causing the overheating?

Thanks Again for the advice :)

Its probably the prima ,grey angled section at the bottom that slides off.
    The stat is gone by the sounds of it .

Its a potterton netaheat, not sure of the model though. Maybe an 80e as its quite a big house.

You know anywhere I can buy a new stat? and are they hard to fit or should i just I leave it to a a pro

Cheers

If it's a netaheat and it's giving you trouble ,I'd recommend replacing the boiler.

The netaheat is old now and tempremental when you start changing parts. It's at least 20 years since they went of production.:(

Advertisement