Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the name of that cartoon......?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

what is the name of the childrens tv programme that I think was on in the 80's that had a cuckoo clock and a man and a woman came out of it, if it was raining they would wear a raincoat and have an umbrella, if it was sunny they might have had a deckchair

Its driving me crazy and everyone where I work is now on a mission to try and remember the name of the cartoon.:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Froggie01

Hi

would anyone remember this type of cartoon

There was a little matchstick guy with a top hat who was in love with a matchstick lady - her body was kind of in the shape of a harp she always carried a handbag. She was kinda snooty and when the little guy would tip his hat to her , she would stick her nose in the air and walk off...

It was mostly black and white,but the background page had some pink/blue watercolour affect...

I think it would have been on around the time of Dempseys Den, but it would have been considered an "old" ie "cheap" cartoon and probaly not very popular with most kids

It may have been made in France, and i can;t even remember if they talked...but there was music in it..

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lena-bell

http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/index.php

the first one with the clock sounds familar this website has a list of them might help

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Heh! I remember both, but can tell you the name of neither.

Froggie01's cartoon was one of those that never stood out as worth remembering as it was awful to watch as a kid. It was definitely foreign, along the lines of a lot of cheap filler they used to use (Worker and Parasite :pac:). As far as I recall, it was French or Italian - they had a few of these short cartoons they bought in. It was probably someone's bright idea in Italy/France/Germany - make a cartoon that the characters never talk in it and you can sell it to multiple markets in Europe. It always smacked of something made on the cheap back in the 70s or 60s. I somehow recall that it first made an appearance either when the strike was on in RTE or as filler on one of the Saturday shows, then a while later it started being scheduled to fill a gap in the proper Den schedule.

As far as the op's cartoon goes, I remember several possibilities:
    1) there were some educational programmes on both BBC2 and on Channel 4 that did live-action versions
    2) did Sesame Street also do an animated version once?
    3) there was a version drawn in the style of BOD (just with thicker lines) but can't remember where it appeared
    4) Did POB do something along those lines once or twice?

And yes, I know I watched way too much TV as a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

For anyone else being driven crazy by this, i think the show shade1984 was talking about was "The brollys":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtUgY4Zp94&feature=related

Not my find, just came across this thread while googling http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055139796

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

As the psycho nut that was being driven mad by this since last night, I thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

This thread motivated me to ask this question, there was this anime or cartoon which had the same art style as the anime Daft Punk videos. I watched this anime when I was 10 or younger but can not remember the name of it. It was about pilots in space and they had to protect a princess who wore pink ripped tights, pink skirt and top and had very long blond hair. Two pilots liked her one named Jesse who was a tough kid. The princess kept being kidnapped from aliens and monsters and the pilots had to save her. I don't think this was on televison, I just remeber watching this series on a video, I have no idea where they came from.

The series was sad, dark and had light humour. If anyone knows the series I am talking about please tell me the title. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

All i can think of is Captain Harlock or something else by the artist Leiji Matsumoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Rhyme wrote: »
    All i can think of is Captain Harlock or something else by the artist Leiji Matsumoto.

I found the title thanks on wiki. It is Starzinger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starzinger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I found the title thanks on wiki. It is Starzinger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starzinger

I can remember some of the other Force Five adaptations but not Starzinger. Looks like i missed out.

Advertisement