Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge problem....

Options
  • 20-08-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Man that brings back memories , I was blown across a kitchen once doing exactly the same thing when I was a teenager , you dont poke fridges with sharp objects !!
    Count yourself lucky you werent injured.

You need a new fridge , end of story , youve let out the gases ( that wasnt air !! ) , no amount of patching will fix it , sorry for the bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Hey, i think this is the best place for this...

So on Friday i came home and noticed that the top part of my small normal fridge had a huge block of ice in it.
    I decided to hack at it with a knife to get rid of it. I knocked out big blocks and seemed to be doing a grand job until i accidently jabbed the side of the freezer(top part of the fridge).. next thing all of a sudden there's compressed air shooting out at me, it was like if you stabbed the side of a lynx can....

So, I came back after the weekend and the freezer is defrosted and the entire fridge is warm.
    Im wondering if i block this little hole will it refrigerate again?
    Please dont tell me i need a new fridge because it aint mine!
    Cheers!

Scientist indeed! The fridge is f*cked! THe gas that excaped is what cools the yoke! You would have to plug the hole and inject some more gas and seal... Afraid you have to buy a new fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Prognosis isn't good. You have let the gas escape. New fridge would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Fraid so. You've pierced the cooling coil and let the gas out.
    You'll see that the ice compartment manual mentions using blunt plastic tools to remove ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Lovely. Thats all i need. Anyone know the price of a small standard fridge?
    Cheers for the replies.

http://www.didstore.com/store_subcat.asp?catid=8&subid=192

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

power city do them from 149 euros for a 2 star beko ,upwards to powerpoint at around 189 ,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Lovely. Thats all i need. Anyone know the price of a small standard fridge?
    Cheers for the replies.

LOL, new fridge is definately required, you should look on the free websites, freecycle (yahoo group) and jumbletown.ie. people are always trying to get rid of them.

a new one would be a couple of hundred euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

irishbird wrote:
    a new one would be a couple of hundred euro

It's repairable, by a professional, but the cost of doing that would be almost as much as a shiny new fridge that will come with a guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

Try the "Free Trade" section on www.dublinwaste.ie as people are always looking to get rid of stuff on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

..and www.adverts.ie has free and general/electronic for sale sections. see lots of fridges there recently.

Have to say I laughed when I read your post. Happened to a mate of mine years ago. He also broke a big glass shelf in another mate's fridge. I guess he's not very fridge savvy like yourself. :o

If it's a rented place maybe you can pretend that you tried to defrost the fridge and the hole appeared behind some ice? worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If you buy a new fridge, the shop you buy from has to take the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Try baize house out in glasnevin if you're in dublin for shop damaged white goods, seeing as you're only replacing it for a landlord.
    Depends how good you are at keeping a straight face trying to explain it;)

Advertisement