Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange PSU problem

Options
  • 20-08-2007 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

My brother and i think we have found the problem which has been with the computer about 6months after we had put it together.

The problem was that sometimes you would switch the computer on, all lights and fans would turn on but computer would not beep or boot or display anything on screen. You might have to turn it off and on about 4 to 5 times even then it still might not boot. Then you would need to leave it alone for a few hours come back and hope it would boot.

We tryed everything you could think off to fix this. Unpluged CD drives Floppy & Hdd's, tryed differint ram ect.... We even went and ordered a new motherboard and fitted it. A day or so later the problem was still there ones again. In the end i fitted a spare PSU that we i was not using. We took out the old 485watt PSU and put in my 600watt ( Note both PSU have good names one Seasonic and other i cant think off right now ). Since then the computer has been booting and working fine the past week.

But all in all you would not think it could have been the PSU as all fans, lights worked on switching machine on.

Spec
    AMD 3200+ 64
    MSI motherboard
    2 gigs ram
    2 Hdd's
    ATI x800xl video card
    Some other bits and bobs.

So as you can see from the system spec. It should not be a high demand on power but a fault with PSU was the problem.

Just thought idd share this as someone else out there im sure is also having the exact same problem, and is pulling his/her hair out right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

That is quite a common PSU problem. It means the psu was lacking voltage on certain rail(s). It is usually the first sign of a dying psu. You ar lucky you didnt get to the point where sparks fly out of it ;)

Advertisement