Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 20-08-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

:) hi all i have been searching this forum and i decided to join today woo hoo
    i live in cavan and am a keen shooter:)

regards john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

welcome John,

The first step to a happy life, is acknowledging you are addicted to shooting:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Hezz700 wrote:
    welcome John,

The first step to a happy life, is acknowledging you are addicted to shooting:D :D:D
    i confess i am addicted so what:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

johnfaul wrote:
    :) hi all i have been searching this forum and i decided to join today woo hoo i live in cavan and am a keen shooter:) regards john

Greetings .... John....., :D

If I recall your thread correctly prior to your editing, you were asking about .223's.... Is this still the case?

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Hezz700 wrote:
    welcome John,

Addicted! Some of you guys are obsessed!!!....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055020656&page=8 (Slug Chucker!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Welcome John. :)

• Advertisement

yes trojan where i live there is a lot of vermin and open valleys and i cant get many with the shotgun so i am hoping to buy a .223 rifle in the next year or so i would like you guys to give me reccomendations of different makes please

i am a bit undecided on what make to go for so i am looking for a bit of advice thanks john

I don't know much about it but the .177 is meant to the bees knees for vermin shooting (got this from another forum)

I don't know much about it but the .177 is meant to the bees knees for vermin shooting (got this from another forum)
    the 17hmr is good but i was looking for a bit more performance as i will be shooting a good few foxes regards john

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'd suggest you stick with the .223. More ammo choice available & generally cheaper too.

There are loads of happy Tikka .223 owners on here. I've a T3 Tactical myself & can't fault it but they range from €800 odd up. There's also the Remmy to consider, again, quite a range depending on budget etc. Some nice VSSF or laminated models about.

At the lower end (€600 approx), the CZ527 is also worth mentioning.

For smaller critters a .17HMR is ideal out to 150yrds. €400 odd for a CZ452 & easier to licence too, being a rimfire.

That's a start for you anyway & welcome :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Welcome, fellow County man:D !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I use a browning A'bolt myself Stainless and black synthetic with a 8 X 56 s&b
    on top .Only one problem with it trigger pull is a bit heavy but cant complain about it other than that

thanks guys i was thinking of the tikka t3 tactical or the remington vs sf 11
    not sure which i like most yet:rolleyes:
    does anyone know the prices of them?
    as for caliber i think i will stick with the .223
    regards
    john:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hi,

welcome to our own little mad world

Have you considered .204 ruger ?

Tikka T3 excellent rifle by the way;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

My Tactical in .223 was approx €1500.
    I'd expect the VSSF will be somewhere in the same ballpark.

The only thing about the Tikkas is their twist rate - 1:8. They really prefer heavy/long ammo, 70gn+. Mine will shoot lighter stuff OK'ish, more than acurate enough for fox to 200yrds but she really shines with Hornady 75gn HPBT Match out to 400yrds & beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

johnfaul wrote:
    i am a bit undecided on what make to go for so i am looking for a bit of advice thanks john

I have a CZ527 .223 & find it excellant. It is accurate and I have had no issues with it, it cost me €800 off the shelf but with all the bits and pieces added now about 1,400...

Talking to a chap I know in my local last night he advises people to get their "bigger" guns now as he has heard through the grapevine (and he is a man in the know, trust me) that there is going to be be a big clampdown on the issuing of firearms for the likes of the .223 next year, so get it now.

TJ911...

thanks guys does anyone know anything about the remmy vls?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I got a Remy 700 Vs in .220 swift and its capable of shaving hairs off a knats ass at 300 meters. Its a heavy f@#*er though and expensive to run, so i'd go with .223 cal wise.

Hezz

thamks heez i dont want a heavy rifle as i will be doing a lot of walking,
    does anyone here use the .204 are the bullets dear thanks john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

johnfaul wrote:
    thamks heez i dont want a heavy rifle as i will be doing a lot of walking,
    does anyone here use the .204 are the bullets dear thanks john

I have CZ 527 in .204 ruger with leupold 6.5 x 20 x 50 scope. Excellent accuracy, use 39 grain federal and it's awsome. Hornady €25 per 20, winchester (hollow pointa) €22 per 20, federal €26 per 20

thanks i will stick to the .223

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Alright john the tactical is a lot lighter than the vssf so its a handy rifle to carry as for the claims of it being ammo fussy-i set mine for hornadys 55grn vmax i was surprised to find it shoots them to the exact same poi as the american eagles 50gr delighted with that:D cant wait to try the v-max on a fox tonight hopefully;)
    Mark

well mark do like the tactical need a rifle soon seen a fox last night couldnt get him into shotty range about 70 yards and 8 or 9 grey crows fired at one with a bb was slightly under him id say but still too far :p i think i might go for the 20 inch version of the tactical. thanks

Whats a bb? Is this air rifle stuff as in "bb gun"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I think he means a Shotgun :D
    Yea 70yds is a bit much at night time... just about do-able during the day though !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

a BB is a shot gun cartridge with about 10 4.5mm lead balls in it. When using the shotgun I dont tend to shoot at an animal if it is greater than 50 yards out. 70 yards is a no no.

Whats it called? i.e 40grm number 2? What would you use it for? Foxes? Sounds like the sort of round military use for people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's a birdshot size, .180" diameter (4.57mm), 47 lead pellets/ounce (28.3 grams).
    Used for big stuff like geese.

More here-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell

what i meant by bb was a cartridge size as explained above

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Did you get any details of the tikka yet john or serial numbers?Also hopefully your local supernintendo aint a ****** my local gave me my .223 licence handy enough as i already have a hmr,but he refused a mate of mine on the grounds that he had not enough experience with shottie and said he would only grant a rimmie:mad:

• Advertisement

hi mark was out in local gun shop was takin bout licences and stuff with him a new sargent just moved in to our local station and he says he is a total bxxxxxd but i say i will be alright as we have land i think the superintendo is ok

Advertisement