Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Display Settings not saving

• 20-08-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I recently was doing a little clean up on the PC back home(Windows XP), I uninstalled ne or two programs from add/remove programs and defragged the hard disk. I didnt remove anything of importance, just one or two games and music/photo software etc. Anyhow I restarted the machine and the resolution is set to 800x600 and 8bit colour settings. I try to alter this and apply the changes but upon re-start it reverts back to those low settings. There seems to be no issues with any drivers in the device manager so I dont know what to do

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Trilla

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like you removed the display drivers when you were uninstalling stuff. Many display drivers come as a big suite of applications now, and when you remove the suite, you remove the drivers too.

Do you know what type of card it has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Not sure, think is NVIDIA or something like that. The graphics card menu is available when you right click the desktop (anolog display option) just above properties and there is no caution icons in the device manager list.

Okay I so Re-installed the drivers(GeForce Series) but no joy. The only other information I can give is that a mate a mine was messing around on Ashampoo Power Tool and its possible a setting could be altered in this.

Anyhow it doesnt seem like a driver issue, I can change the setting once windows loads up, but it wont save the setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

post a pic of device manager for us ok

Hey Tech! Not currently on my pc but there is nothing wrong in Device manager. No yellow exclamation marks or issues. Strange one

• Advertisement

giving this one a final bump...can anyone shed light on this issue? AFter re-installing the the drivers and nothing wrong in the device manager Im really stuck after that. Ive tried altering the settings both in the Windows Display and the Nvidia software itself.

thanks all anyway for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Boot into Windows safe mode go into the device manager and right click on the monitor/display first and select uninstall, now do the same for the graphics adapter & reboot into normal Windows and see if anything changes. It may require one more reboot after the re-install of the drivers.

No joy 8T8. The drivers re-installed no bother, and yet it still reverts to 8bti and 800x600 res at start up. Im at a loss at this stage, dont know what it is. Thanks anyway lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Did you try a 'system restore'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

By any chance is MSN Messenger starting when you logon?
    I had a problem with a friends system a few months ago where his display would revert to 8bit colour 800x600 whenever he logged on. When I logged in as admin it was fine. One by one I went through the apps set to auto start and I found it was MSN Messenger that was causing it. I didn't try and investigate it much, just upgraded to Windows Live Messenger and the problem went away.
    Hope this helps...

• Advertisement

Well, kind of the opposite. I stopped it starting up in msconfig - startup, as it takes a while to startup with msn. Maybe I'll reset that, but Ive don this before and it didnt effect it. I'll try this when i get home thanks.

Again no joy..at this stage I'm looking at throwing everything on to the external hardDrive and doing a clean wipe and re-install

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Can you try the graphics card in another system??
    Also is there onboard graphics on the motherboard?? If so make sure in the bios that the graphics is set to AGP/PCI etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Trilla wrote:
    Well, kind of the opposite. I stopped it starting up in msconfig - startup, as it takes a while to startup with msn. Maybe I'll reset that, but Ive don this before and it didnt effect it. I'll try this when i get home thanks.

When you were disabling things in msconfig did you disable anything regarding Nvidia? You may have stopped something that is needed for full graphics options from starting.

Soundman wrote:
    When you were disabling things in msconfig did you disable anything regarding Nvidia? You may have stopped something that is needed for full graphics options from starting.

Nope, sure there was only msn and 2 others starting up on msconfig, the rest had been disabled before and the display worked fine.

Trilla can you confirm that when you change the resolution and colour depth to your desired settings they apply fine and the problem is that the settings are not saved when you log off/log on?
    This would eliminate the card as the cause..

SickBoy wrote:
    Trilla can you confirm that when you change the resolution and colour depth to your desired settings they apply fine and the problem is that the settings are not saved when you log off/log on?
    This would eliminate the card as the cause..

Yep can confirm that.

I can change the settings after Op sys loads up
    I can access the cards software
    I uninstalled some photo software and one or two games, but drivers for card remain on system
    There is nothing wrong (with anything on machine) according to device manger
    There is nothing in startup disabled that would effect resolution and colour

Cheers
    Trilla

Ok I know you explained earlier that MSN Messenger was no longer starting up automatically but to rule it out totally, upgrade it to the latest version "Windows Live Messenger". You've nothing to loose except maybe regaining normality with your system :)
    As I said earlier, it worked for me...

Advertisement