Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 20-08-2007 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Got three modem last week, and it cannot be installed on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. This is about the only coverage for broadband I have in my area and I am being told that the laptop will be the same with all the other mobile broadband providers and the wireless ones. The laptop wont allow the CD drive to be set up. Has anyone else come across this problem?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You should be able to grab the drivers from the manufacturers site and install it that way.

Then grab the settings for your mobile broadband provider from someone who is using the service already or ask here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dnClar

Already tried installing the driver, spent hours on the phone to three technical service. They reckon that the dell hardware is blocking the cd drive from installing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭mijmu

Had the same problem. It would not install on my neice's laptop. Took it to a local PC repair shop and they got it installed. Have no Idea what they done but it worked. I tried installing the drivers from my own pc onto the laptop but that didnt work either.

Thanks for that, what repair shop did you bring it too? We were thinking of getting a new laptop altogether, figured if having problems with installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

As far as I know there is a conflict on these laptops between the CD drive & the Huawei device. Try to disable the CD drive on your laptop. Then plug in your modem. It should recognise it then.
    To disable the CD drive:
    - right click on the "My Computer" icon
    - select "Properties"
    - then choose the "Hardware" tab
    - click "Device Manager"
    - there should be an option in the lst like DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    - expand this item by clicking the little "+" symbol next to it.
    - right click on the device here & select "disable"
    Install your software then, you cna re-enable the drive then AFAIK.
    Hope it works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I had a similar problem on my inspiron 9400. The card will only work on 1 on of the usb ports as I believe it needs power.

After installing the card also remove it and reboot the pc. Before pc reboots put the usb back in

Rebel Ranter, dont reckon tried that with technical services, so you are saying disable the existing dvd/cd drive so that the devices drive will install?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Is this the Vista driver issue you're all talking about?

The laptop is working on windows XP.

Advertisement