Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf V GTi Tyres

Options
  • 20-08-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Anyone got a golf gti Mark V and had any problems with the original
    tyres? It's a second hand '05 car, tyres haven't been changed yet but
    it's only done 22k. They're the upgraded 18s. I find mine are not 'grippy'
    enough & I don't trust them going around corners especially when it's wet.

Got any good recommendations for tyres with good grip?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, I find mine very easy to wheelspin under acceleration in the wet - the traction light often flashes in the dash! I suppose its down to having 200bhp going through the front wheels, not sure if a tyre change would make a big difference. My tyres are bridgestones as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

22K in a FWD car like the Mk V Golf GTi is not great but not bad either if you ask me :)
    I suppose the previous owner was 'enthusiastic' with his/her driving - a friend of mine is needing replacements for his vRS (same engine) and he would not be an aggressive driver by any means. His mileage is in and around 17K (miles).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

try get some good year eagle f1s or vredestein ultrac or ultrac sessanta

tyres are likely shagged after 22k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Those tyres were more than likely gone at 15k.. I would buy some ! The Conti sports they come with are not too bad but the F1s would be a lot better for that power going through the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

MarkN wrote:
    Those tyres were more than likely gone at 15k.. I would buy some !

I agree.

My 06 GTI has 15k km on it and the front tyres are showing considerable wear.I consider myself a gentle driver.At a glance look fine but compared to the back ones a huge difference.
    They're still perfectly legal and I haven't noticed any traction issues,if I was keeping it I'd get new ones before the winter.
    Dunlops originally fitted on mine.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Cheers thanks for all the replys. It's getting a service
    in Sept so I'll ask the garage about the tyres & see what
    they say. Don't want to be shelling out for new tyres if
    there's nothing wrong with the old ones yet other than
    I don't like them!

For the record I think it would be fantastic if it was
    rear-wheel drive than fwd & reckon there'd be less wear
    on the tyres too. But I suppose the accountants would
    have something to say about that at VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

My S3 has 14,000 kms on it now and there's still a lot of thread left on the front so the Quattro does help.

Bit of advice though, from someone who has had two MKV GTIs, there is no doubt whatsoever that the tyres don't need to be done at 22k - not worth skimping on rubber mate, go onto eiretyres, they'll very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MarkN wrote:
    Bit of advice though, from someone who has had two MKV GTIs, there is no doubt whatsoever that the tyres don't need to be done at 22k - not worth skimping on rubber mate, go onto eiretyres, they'll very reasonable.
    I'm assuming you mean that there's no doubt that they do need to be done?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

blue5 wrote:
    Cheers thanks for all the replys. It's getting a service
    in Sept so I'll ask the garage about the tyres & see what
    they say. Don't want to be shelling out for new tyres if
    there's nothing wrong with the old ones yet other than
    I don't like them!

Important question not asked yet - Whats the thread depth left on them?

Ive researched Eiretyres a good bit and the Toyo Proxes T1R's seem to be the best value for money. I had them on my E36 and they were great. They are not as grippy as the goodyear Eagle F1's but the the F1s were eaten faster I found. Eagle F1's were the grippiest tries I ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Have 18" Vredestein Ultracs on mine....excellent tyre

• Advertisement

furtzy wrote:
    Have 18" Vredestein Ultracs on mine....excellent tyre

arent they just, enough people dont know about them

do u have ultracs or ultra sessantas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Had ultracs on my car and had to give them back to the garage, very poor grip and the car felt like it was drifting all over the road. Messed around with different pressures for a few weeks but nothing helped.
    Got a refund and a set of Eagle F1's and have never looked back :)

Neil.

Neilw wrote:
    Had ultracs on my car and had to give them back to the garage, very poor grip and the car felt like it was drifting all over the road. Messed around with different pressures for a few weeks but nothing helped.
    Got a refund and a set of Eagle F1's and have never looked back :)

Neil.

funny i found mine just as good as eagle f1s i had previously

Cyrus wrote:
    arent they just, enough people dont know about them

do u have ultracs or ultra sessantas?

Ultracs....car had bridgestone potenzas on when I bought it....not a great tyre at all

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd agree about the Bridgestones not being great tyres at all. I can highly recommend the Toyo Proxes T1-Rs too, generally alot cheaper than the Eagle F1s too.

Got the 18" Ultracs for €110 each fitted and balanced.....is that a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

furtzy wrote:
    Ultracs....car had bridgestone potenzas on when I bought it....not a great tyre at all
    bazz26 wrote:
    I'd agree about the Bridgestones not being great tyres at all.

Which Potenzas? Theres a load of different types.

furtzy wrote:
    Got the 18" Ultracs for €110 each fitted and balanced.....is that a good deal?

that seems very very cheap, make sure they are def ultracs and not some other type of vredestein sportrac or anything else

i paid 200 each for two 265/35/18 ultracs and that was the very best price i could get from one of their registered suppliers. If you got ultracs for 110 thats really good.

These guys here are supposed to be good for vredesteins and they seem to be 150 for your size ultracs

http://www.elitedirect.com/02-tyres/tyresbypattern.php5?brand=Vredestein&model=ULTRAC

Cyrus wrote:
    that seems very very cheap, make sure they are def ultracs and not some other type of vredestein sportrac or anything else

i paid 200 each for two 265/35/18 ultracs and that was the very best price i could get from one of their registered suppliers. If you got ultracs for 110 thats really good.

These guys here are supposed to be good for vredesteins and they seem to be 150 for your size ultracs

http://www.elitedirect.com/02-tyres/tyresbypattern.php5?brand=Vredestein&model=ULTRAC

Nope definitely Ultracs. Mc Quaid tyres in Monaghan where i got them is Vredesteins main distributor. He is extremely reasonable for all makes but especailly Vredesteins

nice one so, thats the cheapest ive ever seen them for :)

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote:
    nice one so, thats the cheapest ive ever seen them for :)
    He comes highly recommended. Its huge operation so he always has the size/brand you're looking for. No hanging about either.

Advertisement