Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question about fees

• 20-08-2007 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Ok, just wondering in any of you can help me out here. My son started off in DCU last Sept/Oct. Hated the course and dropped out before the January deadline. Was told he was able to claim half yearly fees if he went back to collgee this year because he dropped out in time.

Ok, question is. He has now been offered a place in UCD. Can he still claim back half fees even though he will be going to a different college or would it only count if he was going back to DCU. Have tried to ring UCD helpline but it has been busy all day.

Just thought there might be someone in here who has been in this situation and might be able to help.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It should be half fees that he has to pay if he dropped out before the January deadline. The fact that he's going to be in a different college should be immaterial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

yea sorry, meant that he would only have to pay half fees, or rather I would. lol. Thanks for that, will try to ring again tomorrow and find out for definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Try the super helpful SU Education officer Ronan Shanahan
    Email: sueducation [at] ucd [dot] ie
    Office Phone: (01) 716 3111

I'm pretty sure its only half fees as has been said but the ed. officer should know for definite.

Ruu edit: Email addy fixed as to keep away spambots. Thankies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Cheers, thanks for that. Going to email him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

I'm in a similiar situation to your son. Yes, you'll only have to pay half fees for the year. You'll pay for the first half of the year in September and after that he can apply for free fees like everyone else.
    The fee will vary depending on the course, but i reckon it will be in the region of 2.5-3k.

• Advertisement

Inglorious wrote:
    I'm in a similiar situation to your son. Yes, you'll only have to pay half fees for the year. You'll pay for the first half of the year in September and after that he can apply for free fees like everyone else.
    The fee will vary depending on the course, but i reckon it will be in the region of 2.5-3k.

There's no actual applying necessary, it literally just kicks in. So you'd pay the money for the first bit, and then just sign the paper in January :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm just wondering does the registration fee qualify for tax relief?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Chakar wrote:
    I'm just wondering does the registration fee qualify for tax relief?

It does.
    I'm absolutely amazed that people will get through college without realising that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

It does.
    I'm absolutely amazed that people will get through college without realising that.

Thanks pretty*monster. I'll see if my parents qualify for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Another fee question:
    I'm paying grad fees, here (http://www.ucd.ie/fees/fee_payment_dates.htm) it says it needs to be paid by Sunday 9th Sep. Really? I have never paid before I went back before. Is that the cut off date? Also its in 2 halfs, do I have to pay it like that?

Bah, paying fees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement