Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing course-Media to teaching??

• 20-08-2007 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Im currently about to go into my 3rd year of a 4year media course but was starting to get cold feet about what future I have in media so i applied to the cao and got offered primary teaching in pats. So id only be doing one more year extra than i would have done in my current course.
    I havent a clue what to do-I like my media course but im not sure about a future career in it-and I still havent found my preferred area in this field. So teaching seems like the safest option! I had teaching down two years ago but wanted to try media-never really thought of future employment at the time! I dont want to chance waiting for a post grad coz I hear that they are impossible to get in to! So this is my only chance to change! Any advice! Need to make up my mind this week! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

sounds like you need to take a year out, maybe do some subbing in schools, and a bit of work experience in media. Nobody knows which field you'd be better in except you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

If you're only interested in teaching for job security you might not find you enjoy at much as if you felt a real urge to teach. Same with people who do it for the holidays. It is quite a stressful job and very demanding, especially at primary level. Those who do it, just to do something, and don't then find they love it, often end up burning out and hating their job.

I'd do as hot chick says and take a year out, do a bit of work in each area and see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ripgirl

Thanks for the replies guys!

I did alot of reseach last nite, talkin to teachers etc so im kinda movin towards it now-there is two years left in my current degree so it wud be good for me to decide now-(I know if i took a year out I wouldnt go back to college!!) So it may sound stupid but i feel like I wana dive in and get it over and done with now!
    My friend (who is a permanent teacher) told me I could always do night courses etc when im qualified. The only thing im worryin about now is movin from a huge college wit only 8hrs of lectures a week in to st pats!!

Id imagine im in for a tough three years!!?? Whats to expect?
    Also dreading havin to go through the induction process all over again!!

Advertisement