Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Electricity Usage

Options
  • 20-08-2007 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what typically averages businesses such as hotels, pubs, resturants use in electricity in KVA or watts? I am thinking of getting a business connection for a farm and was wondering what package typically pubs, hotels etc use from ESB.?? Thanks for any help.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dunno where to put this but I'll move it to Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Gareth37 wrote:
    Does anyone know what typically averages businesses such as hotels, pubs, resturants use in electricity in KVA or watts? I am thinking of getting a business connection for a farm and was wondering what package typically pubs, hotels etc use from ESB.?? Thanks for any help.:)

No such thing as an average TBH. Best way is to work out what you need, then allow for future expansion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah there is no typical loading, you might get similar peaks and drops but most places have different loadings, for example a 100 bed hotel or a 10 bed hotel?

If you have sizes of the main breakers I could give you a guess.

If you want to do this properly you need to get a voltage, current, power meter onto your main load center, typically these are known as VIPs meters, this should run over a 48 hour period, this will give you a report of your power usage and when and where you are using the most load, it will also tell you if you have any balance issues across the three phases.

This is assuming that you already have the farm in full swing etc. Financially it is important not to over shoot your expected capacity as the ESB will charge you for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Thanks for all the replies.

After doing a little research I think I will look for a "smart meter" along with the esb meter so that i can look at energy more closely including water. Water costs are big too so i need to detect leaks etc. :) . Cannot beleive that many businesses do not monitor their electric and water usage

Advertisement