Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Attenuation

Options
  • 20-08-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I finally managed to get DSL in my local exchange which was enabled recently. I have got it through BT (Eircom bitstream). I was coming up as an "amber" line as I am about 3 miles from the exchange so I went for the 1MB package.

Anyway, a week later and all was connected up. The router arrived and hey presto!! Broadband.

Everything has been working fine although I have had the odd disconnection. I had a look at the stats a few days ago the Download Line Attenuation was at 63.0db and the Noise Margin was between 8.0 - 9.0 DB. I am no expert but from reading this forum, that is not too good?

Anyway, I have looked at the stats today and it is as follows:

Line Rate 1024 Kbps 128 Kbps
    Noise Margin 11.4 dB 12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 31.5 dB
    Output Power 14.3 dBm 9.1 dBm

Is it me, or has it suddenly got much better? I have had no disconnections in the last day or so. I am just wondering if I might have a fault on my line to explain this sudden change.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It's quiet possible a line fault has been rectified but something still doesn't look right.
    The initial 63db is a bit high for 3 miles but 15.5db is waaay too low for 3 miles.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If it keeps jumping all over then ask BT for another router as yours seems faulty.

The current setting looks waaaaay too low while 63db was a bit crap for a 3 mile line ....it should have been 50-60 db ish by my estimation .

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Thanks guys,

I will have to give BT a shout for a new router to see if that makes any difference. Just out of interest I did a speed check on www.speedtest.net and getting 589kbps download speed from the dublin server. Not the best speed but a lot better than dial-up.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's faulty. Downstream attenuation cannot be significantly lower than upstream attenuation on ordinary DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Just checked again now and it has gone back up to 63db. Will still request a new router from BT though.

Cheers
    Shyboy

• Advertisement
Advertisement