Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law degree

• 20-08-2007 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi, I was curious as to how much of an advantage a law degree will give a person wanting to become a solicitor. I know that there is an obvious advantage in the respect that they have an undergraduate qualification for their chosen profession. Is say an arts student at a considerable disadvantage with their lack of a law degree.

The thing is that after completing FE-1s is everyone on a level playing field so to speak in terms of paper qualifications? Then, would they secure a training contract based solely on FE-1 results? This scenario is removing from the equation nepotism and family connections.

Thanks,
    BTS:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Lawlord007

It rather depends on the type of training contract u are seeking and the status of the firm you would like to join. If you wish to join one of the better ones then the lack of a good law degree will be a disadvantage. I notice that most of Arthur Cox's trainees and junior solicitors do have law degrees as well as work experience.

Im afraid to say that, even in the smaller firms the lack of a law degree may be a disadvantage but this is not to say that you will not be offered a training contract. It depends on how well you did in your arts degree, what other credentials you have and your work experience, if any.

Im not sure you would be interested in living in the UK but I notice that most of the magic circle law firms in London are quite happy to recruit solicitors who dont have law degrees.

In any event, make sure to apply as early as possible for a training contract and to practice your interview skills in advance - the interview can be just as important as your degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Thanks Lawlord, just trying to figure a few things out and am curious about how it all works.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

I would say that the lack of a law degree will disadvantage you when it comes to the FE-1's. They are notoriously difficult! But if you were set upon doing them, then maybe consider doing a postgraduate diploma in legal studies first (the Law Society run a number of them and you can use them to discount some of the modules you will have to do in your apprenticeship). Also consider doing some work experience in a solicitor's office.

Personally I found that my time working in solicitor's offices made me realise that while I loved studying law I really did not want to work in a solicitor's office or practice. If that is the case then you would be wasting your time. As a professional qualification it carries some weight but for the amount of work to put in to get to a high earning level you could work in the financial sector and earn as much with slightly less slog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Hey Electric, I have some work experience set for a solicitors office. I am hoping that this will go well. It is very much make or break when this happens. Like you said yourself a legal working environment is very different to the study of the subject. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

You're more than welcome. If while your in the solicitor's office see if you can work in as many different areas of law. You might find that while criminal law seems glamorous on the tv it's rather dull in practice. But something like family law may catch your eye.

Good luck with the experience. Hopefully it will be all positive and help you with your decisions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement