Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest Broadband in Ireland

Options
  • 20-08-2007 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I was listening to a podcast about that Swedish woman who has a 40 gigabit line (Downloads 2 hour movie in 5 seconds :eek: drool) and I was wondering what's the fastest BB speed on our merry isle? I've a 1mb line but isn't there 8megs somewhere? anywhere higher than 8?:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Magnet do 24mb for business and 8mb for home threw fibre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

You could just go to one of the Hosting providers and get your 40Gbits their! but hey look at the figures realistically the fastest adapter you could possible get for your computer would'nt be anymore then a 10Gbit Fiber channel or Ethernet!, and now thats more or less found in server, also to write a file at that speed to a hard drive would not work, so check your podcast again and i bet she ment 40Mbits, i was over in Sweden in a newly developed apartment complex and they have an avg for 12Mbit from their provider, on a 100Nbit LAN in the building which their TV, Phone and internet is provided.

This country has a good network for backhaul and most providers could be providing speed of +10Mbit avg, it's just their milking it for now!

P.S by the way, where better off then you think! never mind access to broadband but if you can get it from providers such as NTL, digiweb and IBB it's far better then most residential broadband in the UK! and i've been told that many time by guys that work in the industry of their! + capacity is becoming a problem over their, as many as providers as their is over their they all piggy back off BT's ADSL network! so options for technology are certinaly limited!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Casey Cablesurf in Dungarvan is the fastest domestic service and has been the fastest in Ireland , CONSISTENTLY, since it launched almost 10 years ago. so there:p

http://www.cablesurf.com/cablesurfadvantages.shtml

Been 9mbits for the last 3 years ...or maybe 4

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Eircom are testing out 8Mb line and IPTV (TV through your phone line) and are upgrading their exchanges. It would take a while I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

His story is true. She is the mother of some big internet guy:

But i agree with the disk IO issues...

http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/internet-and-broadband/news/75-year-old-woman-has-fastest-broadband?articleid=1857379299

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

You could just go to one of the Hosting providers and get your 40Gbits their! but hey look at the figures realistically the fastest adapter you could possible get for your computer would'nt be anymore then a 10Gbit Fiber channel or Ethernet!, and now thats more or less found in server, also to write a file at that speed to a hard drive would not work, so check your podcast again and i bet she ment 40Mbits, i was over in Sweden in a newly developed apartment complex and they have an avg for 12Mbit from their provider, on a 100Nbit LAN in the building which their TV, Phone and internet is provided.
    No, it's true;
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/13/40gbps-internet-connection-installed-in-swedes-home/
    Of course it's pretty useless because, as you say, hard drives can't write that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

So she could download a DVD movie in seconds, but it'll still take about 5 minutes to write it all to the disk :)

Anyway, AFAIK the fastest net connections in the country are UL, UCD and UCC which all have 400Mb/s links. I think HEAnet (who supply interwebs to most the colleges) have a 2.5Gbit/s connection to the rest of the world.

I'm in UL right now, and irishisptest.ie is saying I have 36Mb/s down and 18.5 up. Since there's 1000+ puters in the college I'm not the only one using the connection of course :D This PC is probably only limited by a 100Mb/s switch too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

His story is true. She is the mother of some big internet guy:
    She's the mother of the CEO who implemented the county owned city network for Karlstad (the 8th or something biggest city in Sweden) that are popular to build (county owned fiber ring around the city and renting out the capacity to companies, state subventioned etc.). He did it to point out the possabilities with fast internet and the things you could develop with it. Since the connection goes to a lady who's not had a computer until 5 years ago the chances she would abuse her connection speeds are rather limited (hence why her and not random Joe on the street).

Fun part is that private home owners are now starting to connect to said networks by having a estate share the cost and hook up fiber through the estate and then one connection on to the rings. Not that expensive either, around 3k per house (+ monthly fees etc. but you can ditch your phone line, don't worry about the state of the cable TV network etc.).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

9mb in Longford throught Crossans but I think they rent off Casey's in Dungarvin aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm told the story goes ...

Bernie Crossan dug up Longford Town to lay his own fibre network and then reached an arrangement with BT to provide the backhaul for free, just as long as BT could use his fibres when they needed it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Know a bloke in Sweden with a 100mb line up and down. He host's our DCON gaming server to which I get about 60ping to.

And it probably costs him less then my ****ty 2mb down 256kb up eircom line :(

/shakes fist :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

ill vouch for magnet fiber, dont believe what you read ive never seen it download at only 8mb, i can maintain a constant 2MB/sec download at all times day or night 24x7, casey cablesurf can do the math there

thats up and down
    and that is the fastest domestic service in ireland

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'm told the story goes ...

Bernie Crossan dug up Longford Town to lay his own fibre network and then reached an arrangement with BT to provide the backhaul for free, just as long as BT could use his fibres when they needed it :)

I heard something similar myself!! Once the initial problems were sorted with my connection its great!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

small technicality

crossan are as fast as casey but launched MUCH later ....maybe 5 years after casey .

Lonford and Dungarvan currently have the fastest standard broadband and the fastest entry level broadband, long may that continue :)

well adevertised speed and true speed always differ, sometime in the other direction eg dubln i have the equivalent of a 20mb connection, and there are lots of other ppl who are fortunate enough to have the same connection as me who can confirm this fact, I would consider this faster than all the rest or ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

bungholio wrote:
    well adevertised speed and true speed always differ, sometime in the other direction eg dubln i have the equivalent of a 20mb connection, and there are lots of other ppl who are fortunate enough to have the same connection as me who can confirm this fact, I would consider this faster than all the rest or ireland?

Provider?
    How much?
    Is this a service available to anyone in your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

batman2000 wrote:
    Eircom are testing out 8Mb line and IPTV (TV through your phone line) and are upgrading their exchanges. It would take a while I reckon

In all rights that shouldn't take long. If you've ever done work with Fibre routers and switches you'll know it's only the adapters that translate the optics to electric signals that need to be replaced.

Besides don't expect much Eircom have never had an interest in being cutting edge. They have always been miles behind the rest and now that there's real competetion they are selling off their residential service. At least there will be no more delays on purpose if you subscribe to BT or something.

IrishTLR wrote:
    Provider?
    How much?
    Is this a service available to anyone in your area?

Magnet
    8MB FTTH as advertised (trust me it is not 8mb)
    they have a list on their websites of live sites

See screen shots with std download and with accelerator I have seen it a 3MB/sec often

Standard
    standardmk8.th.jpg

Accelerator
    acceleratorup2.th.jpg

hehehe just incase there are any doubts, yeah i can get it faster if i openend more connections on my acceerator but 2.5 mins to download 266 mb seems pretty ok to me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I get 13m from the Smart Vision service. Because of a weird setup in my apartment, I've actually got two separate routers, each which gets 13m, so I'm actually getting 26m in total (but it has to be two separate downloads).

The TV service seems to eat up about 5m of the bandwidth.

However having said that, I hear Magnet is generally faster and Smarts TV channel line up isn't great.

bk wrote:
    I get 13m from the Smart Vision service. Because of a weird setup in my apartment, I've actually got two separate routers, each which gets 13m, so I'm actually getting 26m in total (but it has to be two separate downloads).

The TV service seems to eat up about 5m of the bandwidth.

However having said that, I hear Magnet is generally faster and Smarts TV channel line up isn't great.

same setup as mine, each wall outlet i plug into gives me that speed without affecting the other
    im not a fan of their tv service though, menu is a little slow loading and clicking through

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bungholio wrote:
    same setup as mine, each wall outlet i plug into gives me that speed without affecting the other
    im not a fan of their tv service though, menu is a little slow loading and clicking through

No, I'd say my setup is different.

I've got 7 network ports in my apartment, however only 2 of them are working, the rest aren't connected.

On each of the two working ports I've got a smart router attached, each of these routers gives me a separate 13m connection.

I'm guessing that in your setup, that each of your network ports actually works and that the smart router is actually hidden away inside a white box in your hall.

I've also got that Smart box in the hall, with all my networking ports going into it. However the reason my router isn't in there also, is because the developer never connected the power cable running into the smart box :(

I must get the developer or a sparks to fix it, so that I can make use of all my network ports.

What is your setup like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

bungholio wrote:
    Magnet used to sell a 24mb gaming package but stopped it a while back (to replace it with 8mb) and only offer a 24mb package to business customers. However, people who originally signed up to the 24mb one were allowed keep it (were not forced to the 8mb). There was a guy on these forums a few weeks back who had that package even though magnet don't officially sell it any more.

Advertisement