Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320D - VRT "extras" Advice ASAP!!

Options
  • 20-08-2007 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi Everyone,

After weeks of searching Ive found the Beamer I want. Im planning to go and see/buy it this week if possible.. However, I rang the VRT office today and they said because its only 3 years old It will have to be checked for extras, as in Revenue will contact BMW manufacturer to verify any extras etc.. Its the 320D ES model which has cruise control, MFSW. It doesn't have leather seats, the only real "extra" I can see is the "factory fitted bluetooth".. The VRT on this car is fairly high as it is, should I expect to be paying alot more because of these extras?? The price of 7,100 euro they provisionally gave me is based on a 2004 320D ES model (they do have it on their system) but the lady said that the english ones were different and thats why they have to be checked.. i just dont want to get caught for paying more VRT than I originally expected.. Anyone any advice for me please?? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

It's all a gamble I'm afraid. They will check with BMW and you WILL be charged extra for any non-standard items on the car :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kjk1981

Bummer :( Does anyone have any idea how much the bluetooth could add to the VRT price?? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Add say €300 to the value and €90 to the VRT bill? Just a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

Recently brought in an A3 recently and they never asked about extras in the VRT office. There is a tiny box on the form apparently, but i missed it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Arrive late in the afternoon to VRT it - I was the last person at Santry VRO a few months back and the girls were just clearing everything as quickly as possible so they could get out of the office.

They never even looked at the car to check chassis numbers, mileage etc, let alone check for extras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is there no way to check exactly how much vrt you have to pay before buying it and bringing it into the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tuxy wrote:
    Is there no way to check exactly how much vrt you have to pay before buying it and bringing it into the country?
    I've always paid exactly what it said on the VRT calculator. Two years ago, I brought in a 2-year-old Golf with leather, a/c and ESP. There was no charge for the extras.

Thanks... I have rang two VRO offices so far and they both said the same thing.. Is there a limit that if the car is under a certain age that it has to be checked?? One of them mentioned 4 years, they were fobbing me off cos it was nearly 5pm so I didnt get to clarify, I'll be ringing more tomoro anyway..

Any other advice appreciated :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I recently brought back a 4 year old 530d Sport. It wasnt checked. EVERY other car was being checked in there, with the exception of a battered 106. I was blessed.

All I'll say is that they shouldn't charge you a heap extra - it was a €1000 ish option new, but I doubt it would increase the market value by that much today. Probably looking at a max of €150 extra. The send the chassis number off to BMW and BMW fax them back. A guy I know was stung to the extent of €3500 extra. Then again, his car had about £11000 worth of options..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Once your honest about the model of the car i.e ES model it should be fine.It all depends then on the person that you get in the office.When I imported my car and went to pay the VRT the lady just came down and looked at the cars Chassis no to make sure it agreed with the V5 cert and the VRT was exactly as I had checked on the web

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I think there is a new 'directive' to the VRT offices as I brought in a 04 TT last month and depsite telling them that it honestly didn't have an extras and to save their time (:rolleyes: ) they still checked it out. It didn't have any extras ;) The month before that I was bringing in a 07 520 M Sport for my friends parents and they checked that. Now, it had leather and the full media package, which is the sat nav and bluetooth. All in all the extras cost 1,700 in extra VRT. They will 'depreciate' the values based on the car.

If you want to find out the extra costs you can ring up and give them the VIN number, at least thats what they told me in Wexford, but by doing this you will be pretty much inviting them to load the extras on the VRT when you go in to get it registered - they don't forget - I once gave them too much information on an query on the phone, they got my name and were 'expecting' me when I came in.

Thanks guys, I got in contact with the seller, he informed me that the extras on the car are the bluetooth, the MFSW and parking sensors.. Hope it doesn't add too much to the VRT bill :confused::confused: Im already at the top end of my borrowed budget!!!! :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Those extras are less than €2,000 new, so even if they do charge VRT on them (assuming a depreciation of 50%), the extra VRT should be under €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

im just after bring in a audi a4 2002http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124215&referrerid=&highlight=audi+a4+2.4

Ive paid the vrt in limerick city and the sound fella never checked it. it had leather seats and rear parking sensors and more!

A question for u, how will they know u have some of those extras?
    Bluetooth etc

u could always try limerick they are sound there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know a good few people that have brought cars in recently (last 3 years) & also guys that were bringing them in 5-6 years ago. They uswed to check every one of them coming in a few years ago. There are just so many of them coming in now they simply don't have time to check them out. It is rare that they check. A lot of those "extras" that you mentioned are now standard on most cars, I doubt even if checked that the VRO office official will be able to spot PDC sensors, MFSW buttons & Bluetooth. If it was a leather interior then maybe they would pick it up.
    I would just fill in the form as normal not mention these extras, if they inspect it then pay up the extra €90.

I was told by one of the guys in wexford who is fairly sound that they only generally check BMW/Merc/Audi and only newish ones, i.e. less than two or three years. Anything after that the VRT is pretty small since it will have depreciated so I guess they don't bother. They find out what extras you have by sending the VIN to the Irish distributor, and I'm guessing that prob BMW/Merc/Audi are the only ones who bother to work with them (to protect their own market) - they'd have to have a dedicated person to respond to all queries..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Also, bring it in on the worst, wettest day you can. And and park as far away as you can from the door. Near a Junction.

It's all in the detail, see......?

btw, I know someone who cleared a car and didn't bring it in to the VRT office at all - she claimed 'sure I can't drive it until I get no plates.........'

worked, too. !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

cbyrne wrote:
    They find out what extras you have by sending the VIN to the Irish distributor, and I'm guessing that prob BMW/Merc/Audi are the only ones who bother to work with them (to protect their own market) - they'd have to have a dedicated person to respond to all queries..

Hi I'm just wondering how the Irish Distributor would have the info if the car was not distributed by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Easily :)

I brought in a bike recently, and VRT'd it, they didn't bother to check. I'll be bringing in a new MINI in the next month or so, and they probably won't check that either (Thankfully!!)

Hi I'm just wondering how the Irish Distributor would have the info if the car was not distributed by them?

Guess all the info is on a global platform from the manufacturer. For instance last time I was getting some work done an a Mini I had from the UK, they BMW garage here just put the key into a reader 'yoke' and it brought up all the details on the car... they don't even have to type in the VIN if they have the key!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 surfmaster

Firstly you should not pay the VRT and the reasons why are another days work - (I have my 320D in the country for 6 months now and I am not planning to pay this see www.irishdrivers.org)

If you really do want to pay then you should email every VRO in the country (list available on revenue.ie) with the VIN number of the car. They can then check with BMW for any extras.

Next step is to print out the returned cheapest quotation that you receive and take it to your local VRO.....when you are paying the VRT. I bet the quotes you get back with vary +/- 20%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

VRT on cars and bikes are totally different. With regard to bikes VRT is calculated on the cc engine size... rediculous i know and not the actual cost.
    For example the VRT on a K1200S BMW is less than say a zzr1400 kawasaki... even though the kawi is a few k cheaper on the irish market.
    The VRT thing in this country is scandalous.... what in the name of god do extras on your car have to do with registering it !?!?!

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

They really are a stingy lot in this country. Not only do they screw us to high heaven with VRT to begin with but they won't even let us away with a few extras that might be in the car. It's a real 'why should you be allowed to have such nice extras in your car' attitude.

cbyrne wrote:
    Guess all the info is on a global platform from the manufacturer. For instance last time I was getting some work done an a Mini I had from the UK, they BMW garage here just put the key into a reader 'yoke' and it brought up all the details on the car... they don't even have to type in the VIN if they have the key!
    I know that one you type the VIN into their parts & Tech Info System that it will bring up some model details e.g. 320i e90, manual, etc. but I wasn't aware of any system that will tell you the optional extras, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

surfmaster wrote:
    Firstly you should not pay the VRT and the reasons why are another days work - (I have my 320D in the country for 6 months now and I am not planning to pay this see www.irishdrivers.org)

I am sorry to say but that will not get you anywhere. I agree in principle about the VRT and Road Tax arguments from the IDA, but your "rights" won't mean squat to a Garda who impounds your vehicle for not paying VRT. I would seriously pay the fee, scandalous as it is, as loosing your car is the last thing you want. The Gardai are clamping down big time on this.

I know that one you type the VIN into their parts & Tech Info System that it will bring up some model details e.g. 320i e90, manual, etc. but I wasn't aware of any system that will tell you the optional extras, etc.

Well i dunno, but working in the IT industry myself, I'd be very suprised if large manufacturing companies such as BMW don't have a system (in the distributors if not dealers) which lets them access the 'master' database of all cars manufactured, and that database would have pretty much the 'order' spec for your car.. obviously post production add-ons wouldn't be there, it would only be the spec that was originally ordered..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 surfmaster

Elessar wrote:
    your "rights" won't mean squat to a Garda who impounds your vehicle for not paying VRT. I would seriously pay the fee, scandalous as it is, as loosing your car is the last thing you want. The Gardai are clamping down big time on this.

Not true thankfully. You might investigate the Principle or Proportionality when you have a chance. This stops Guards / Customs seising goods worth more than what is owed to the government,

Thanks for all the advice guys.. I got my 320D and I love it, Such a lovely drive :D Ive gotten a few quotes from VRO's and they are all quoting me the same price which is grand. I just have to go in on a wet day so they wont check for extras!

I dont plan on clearing the car for a few weeks, is it possible for me to change the V5 ownership form into my name until I pay the VRT? Considering that my address is in Ireland.. I dont want it to be in the previous owners name for any lengthly period.. Any advice appreciated... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

VRT office didn't even look at the last car I brought in, just said ok 4700 please

• Advertisement

kjk1981 wrote:
    I dont plan on clearing the car for a few weeks, is it possible for me to change the V5 ownership form into my name until I pay the VRT? Considering that my address is in Ireland.. I dont want it to be in the previous owners name for any lengthly period.. Any advice appreciated... :)

DVLA will not change the V5 to any address outside the UK, you can try but you'll just get a letter saying they can't change it. You won't be able to put the car into your name until you get it re-reged here. - but that shouldn't be an issue? If you do get stopped just tell them you're waiting for a certificate of export from DVLA, and that you never got the V5! It normally takes DVLA 4-5 weeks to send an expor cert (but you don't need it for importing car, only need it if you don't have the V5)

Advertisement