Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320D - VRT "extras" Advice ASAP!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

surfmaster wrote:
    Firstly you should not pay the VRT and the reasons why are another days work - (I have my 320D in the country for 6 months now and I am not planning to pay this see www.irishdrivers.org)

One of the reasons that VRT will not be abolished and possibly one of the reasons that drivers enmase have not protested against VRT, is that the abolishin of VRT not only reduce the cost of importing cars but would significantly reduce the value of every car in Ireland over night!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

galwaytt wrote:

btw, I know someone who cleared a car and didn't bring it in to the VRT office at all - she claimed 'sure I can't drive it until I get no plates.........'

worked, too. !

That is awesome, definately gonna try that!! gonna claim that the car was delivered to my address using a flat bed lory in case they get into the nitty gritty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kjk1981

cbyrne wrote:
    DVLA will not change the V5 to any address outside the UK, you can try but you'll just get a letter saying they can't change it. You won't be able to put the car into your name until you get it re-reged here. - but that shouldn't be an issue? If you do get stopped just tell them you're waiting for a certificate of export from DVLA, and that you never got the V5! It normally takes DVLA 4-5 weeks to send an expor cert (but you don't need it for importing car, only need it if you don't have the V5)

In that case, could I get the V5 changed into my name if I got it sent to a friend or relations address in the UK? Cos I intend on not clearing it until I have to whether that be 6 weeks or 6 months...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

kjk1981 wrote:
    In that case, could I get the V5 changed into my name if I got it sent to a friend or relations address in the UK? Cos I intend on not clearing it until I have to whether that be 6 weeks or 6 months...:eek:

I guess you could, although I don't really know why you want to put it in your name in the UK.. Not sure, but would also imagine that this will put you down as two 'past' owners of the car, i.e. you are adding an additional previous owner to the UK for when you bring it in. Risky game not clearing it too, they are clamping down a lot on this.. but guess thats the risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So is surfmaster correct? If you do not pay vrt there is nothing the gardi or customs can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

To OP,

So all in all how much did you save by bringing it into Ireland? Did you drive it back yourself or was it here already without Vrt paid..

mad m wrote:
    To OP,

So all in all how much did you save by bringing it into Ireland? Did you drive it back yourself or was it here already without Vrt paid..

Hi Mad m,

Yeah I drove it back myself, twas a long day but worth it! Between the price of the car, the VRT (when i pay it) I probably saved between 5 and 6 grand on buying one here. It has a few extras also so thats a bonus.. :D I wouldn't go doing it too often as it does take alot of research and time and a certain amount of stress! All in all, yeah it was worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

5/6 grand is nothing to be coughed at...Fairplay....Can you send me a link to the garage you bought from or was it a private seller....

mad m wrote:
    5/6 grand is nothing to be coughed at...Fairplay....Can you send me a link to the garage you bought from or was it a private seller....

A bit unique really.. I bought it from a guy who runs a garage but it was his own car so it was actually a private sale. The best thing to do is to register with autotrader.co.uk (put in any postcode to register) and shop for your car through them, its like shopping for a brand new one. Its good cos it'll prob find cars ur looking for that are advertised elsewhere too. "Cargiant", "the internet car showroom" are other good ones also. Happy hunting!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Hi I'm just wondering how the Irish Distributor would have the info if the car was not distributed by them?

A friend of mine works for BMW Ireland and has access to the details of every car manufactured by them worldwide. The system contains detailed information of every extra put into them. When a car is brought in and the crowd in the vro office are looking for a list of extras etc.. they ring them, give them the vin and will fax them back the list of extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

I remember coming accross a russian site last year that gave all the mercedes details with chasis number....... will try and find it !

edit, wasnt too hard to find after all...........

http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/index.html?lng=eng

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

As already mentioned it seems to be the 3 year old or less BMW, Merc and Audis that the VRO are checking these extras with the manufacturers.

I brought in a '04 Audi A4 about a month ago for a mate, i said id go over and clear it for him as he wasnt familiar with the process.

Long story short 4 days after first going into the VRO office i still didnt have an Irish plate, they couldnt get in contact with Audi Ireland to find out what extras were fitted. At that stage i just asked for all the documents back and walked out, total farce!!

bucks wrote:
    As already mentioned it seems to be the 3 year old or less BMW, Merc and Audis that the VRO are checking these extras with the manufacturers.

I brought in a '04 Audi A4 about a month ago for a mate, i said id go over and clear it for him as he wasnt familiar with the process.

Long story short 4 days after first going into the VRO office i still didnt have an Irish plate, they couldnt get in contact with Audi Ireland to find out what extras were fitted. At that stage i just asked for all the documents back and walked out, total farce!!

Yeah sounds like a bit of a joke.. :o So are you just going to go to another VRO and clear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

kjk1981 wrote:
    Yeah sounds like a bit of a joke.. :o So are you just going to go to another VRO and clear it?

Well the car has been parked up since then as the owner has been in the states for the last month but when he comes back im sending him to a different VRO.

Advertisement