Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone identify these phones?

• 20-08-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

The I came across these phones, and they have no manufacturer or network markings, i have held the phones in my hand and there nothing but a made in korea/china, mark on them......also the xcell on the pics doesn't match ant network or phone company
    Phone 1
    ux_ph0blk0000mp025_ux_g.jpg
    Phone 2
    ux_ph0blk0000mp014_ux_g.jpg
    Phone 3
    phone1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

they are made by a company called nokof. japan I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Have you used uxcell before postie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

quintron wrote:
    they are made by a company called nokof. japan I'd say.

nokof i presume thats a coincidence

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The OP is posting this as we know a chap trying to sell them over here for €250. He wont tell us much about them, and its clear he doesnt know how to use them, but he bought a fair few of them to sell over here. He claims to be the "irish rep" of one of the companies who supplied him the phone and is in "talks" with the three network to sell them off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

They look like that Chinese imitation stuff you see a lot on ebay. They are marketed as smartphones but are not compatible with anthing, they run a sort of hacked-together kind of Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

Dingatron wrote:
    Have you used uxcell before postie?

Sorry I know nothing about them...found them on a search...cheap though..mind you cheap usually means...!!!
    Sully wrote:
    The OP is posting this as we know a chap trying to sell them over here for €250. He wont tell us much about them, and its clear he doesnt know how to use them, but he bought a fair few of them to sell over here. He claims to be the "irish rep" of one of the companies who supplied him the phone and is in "talks" with the three network to sell them off.

Can't see three using them as they are mostly 2.5g

ec18 wrote:
    nokof i presume thats a coincidence

purely....
    First one looks like a earlier SE phone of some kind. Second one looks like a bad imitation of the SE950i and the last one is a spin on a nokia model.
    like I said..nokof.

PS: Steer clear of anything that has "Bluetooth" emblazoned across its front, especially in that font..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

theres another one that looks like one of the nokia black and red n series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Without naming names and offending anyone, at one stage I seriously investigated the possibility of buying a Chinese Domestic Market phone that was being marketed in Ireland.

Sure the build-quality isn't quite as good as Nokia and what have you, but then again, phones often aren't used for more than 6 months before upgrade, so where's the harm in that?

Operationally, I have to say that I found the phone fantastic. The "hacked together Linux" in this case is a reasonably respected system called "Linphon", I may have the spelling wrong, just working off of memory.

It's good. Linux has a bright future in my opinion not on the desktop buy as a type of Windows CE in phones, set top boxes etc.

Reason I didn't buy? Cos I syn with the PC and the software is proprietary.

This wouldn't be such a big factor for everyone.

I would give a conditional thumbs up to these phones.

As for copying.....how many "responsible" companies have knocked off the RAZR at this stage? It's not my problem and in my opinion the only company that doesn't copy is Moto. (although maybe they do, it's just I can't think of an instance).

• Advertisement

it can't be ignored that these phones usually have warranty issues, build quality issues with sub par components, compatibility issues as the above poster describes, and general long term reliability issues with little in the way of come back for the end user especially buying through current channels like eBay etc. Linux has a bright future and is great software but it needs decent hardware to compliment it.
    There is also nothing wrong with imitation. Its a form of flattery. Take a piece of crap like the Moto Razr and ....make an Nokia N76. The latter, while not being perfect, is a marked improvement on the former. Thats a nokof of another standard. But equally, the amount of knock offs of the classic ipod design has spawned some amazingly cheap and nasty imitations which fall loosely, imho, to the category of the above phones in op thread.

Advertisement