Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question In College

Options
  • 20-08-2007 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭

I have a question in college that I am uncertain how to answer it properly ,I looked on the internet got some information but not exactly what I want. Basically here is the question

Explain with the aid of appropiate diagrams the following four Operating terms

Race Condition
    Virtual Memory
    Thrashing
    Multiprogramming

I can explain them but I dont know what diagrams to use? Any ideas?

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

This should all be your notes for an operating systems class.

For race condition you could just show two threads affecting 1 variable at the same time.

For virtual memory you can show types of paging that occur.

Thrashing, show multiple paging operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Get a OS Book from your college library you will find what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Thanks for the help guys.

James

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is it bad that I'm heading into 4th year of a computing course, i've done Operating Systems classes & I was completely stumped...

I blame the summer & stuff...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you were stumped due to forgetting, then don't worry about it too much. Closed-book exams are extremely rare in the real world.

If you still can't remember this stuff next month/term then worry a little about your ability to retain the stuff.

If you were never taught what those terms mean and you attended all of your lectures then you need to worry about the quality of your course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement