Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women .... what's your problem??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think Dublin drivers in general are desperate for furiously guarding their road space. It's something I don't notice half as much in Cork and it's something people from Cork always comment to me on if they're in a car in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Stark wrote:
    I think Dublin drivers in general are desperate for furiously guarding their road space. It's something I don't notice half as much in Cork and it's something people from Cork always comment to me on if they're in a car in Dublin.

i have to agree, Dublin drivers seem to be a bit less mannerly, down here i have no problem being let out or in, people are more friendly and polite on the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I always try to let people turn infront of me if they're turning right, i know it slows down traffic on the far side of the road, and I know what it's like to be stuck in this traffic!!

If only everyone would just slow down and let them turn(check your mirrors for cyclists first!!) it would make everyones life easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jameshayes wrote:
    I always try to let people turn infront of me if they're turning right, i know it slows down traffic on the far side of the road, and I know what it's like to be stuck in this traffic!!
    That's grand, provided you're not doing it at the expense of the cars behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

lol after reading the original post I went out to the shops and was more 'courteous' than usual by letting people pass when the obstrcution was on their side etc. and flashing people to cross in front of me.

I have to say not one man waved me thank you or anything. The women did.

But then I'm a girl so what would I know right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In general I've found less women let me pull out, but the ones who do often seem to go further out of their way to do it, men seem to let people out more, but only if it's not really holding them up in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I find women are generally to busy struggling to control the car themselves to think about letting other people into the traffic - thats why they rarely notice anything else going on either, they are to busy driving the car i.e. using the controls etc to drive the car i.e. maneuver through traffic.

I once saw a woman holding up an Ambulance for about 10 mins on the M50 and only pulled out of its way when her off ramp came. ( but thats how we drive in Ireland - keep right till its your turn off.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

i have to agree, Dublin drivers seem to be a bit less mannerly, down here i have no problem being let out or in, people are more friendly and polite on the road...

What?? C, W, WD, KY, TS, TN and KK regs never let anyone pass them and rarely let anyone out of junctions. They're obnoxious (in general). WX drivers are the most courteous that I've encountered, nearly always let you pass them and always letting a car out while in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

maoleary wrote:
    What?? C, W, WD, KY, TS, TN and KK regs never let anyone pass them and rarely let anyone out of junctions. They're obnoxious (in general). WX drivers are the most courteous that I've encountered, nearly always let you pass them and always letting a car out while in traffic.

The WX cars are all rental cars driven by people from countries where the bad driving habits we see on our roads don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Tweaky wrote:
    The WX cars are all rental cars driven by people from countries where the bad driving habits we see on our roads don't exist.

Awww such a sweet innocent naive little mind.

You go on believing that every other country in the world has perfect drivers.

ellscurr wrote:
    lol after reading the original post I went out to the shops and was more 'courteous' than usual by letting people pass when the obstrcution was on their side etc. and flashing people to cross in front of me.

This is an interesting one. To turn in to where I live, I generally have to make a right turn on a busy road. I have a small turn right lane, in which I sit waiting for a gap in the traffic. I am constantly surprised by the number of oncoming drivers who slow to a stop, bringing all the traffic behind them to a halt, to let me cross. These people are quite frankly too selfish/stupid to be driving, and the last thing i'd do is further encourage them by thanking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Anan1 wrote:
    I am constantly surprised by the number of oncoming drivers who slow to a stop, bringing all the traffic behind them to a halt, to let me cross. These people are quite frankly too selfish/stupid to be driving, and the last thing i'd do is further encourage them by thanking them.
    :eek:

ballooba wrote:
    :eek:

I know,
    I see this regularly, people coming to a complete stop in the middle of flowing traffic on a main road, just to be corteous to another driver. This is taking it too far imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ellscurr wrote:

You shouldn't be waving to anyone, if you get in an accident while waving, you'll be held liable as you weren't in control of the vehicle. Politest thing to do is to be courteous when driving yourself.

On saying that, my mother can't help herself but to wave thank you, wimmin!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I agree with prospect and Anan1, a lot of stupid, pointless "misplaced courtesy" on the roads.

The worst is when someone is turning right out of a side road and the car coming from their right stops dead to let them out even though there is traffic behidn them and traffic coming the other way. The driver pulling out moves out halfway, traffic coming the other way now feels obliged to stop and let him complete his maneouvre. The end result is two lanes of traffic are inconvenienced just so someone can get a warm fuzzy feeling from doing their good deed for the day :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Following a complaint, may I remind posters that gender bashng isn't allowed on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I usually apply a 'first to the junction' type rule to my driving. Heard it first over in the U.S and it just kind of stuck with me since.

If there is a car at the same junction as me who arrived at it before I did then I will do what I can to let them through depending on the situation of course.

I agree with whats been said above about stopping a line of traffic to let out a car waiting to turn right coming the other way, it should not be done. I don't however have a problem with slowing down by say 10km and allowing a sufficient gap to appear between the car in front of yours so that the car you have seen waiting to turn can slip in between, if they want to wait then it is up to them. I will do this from time to time if I see a car that has been waiting a while to make a turn.

@astrofool, lifting 2 fingers from your steering wheel is hardly losing control of your vehicle. I have yet to see anybody giving a Soccer AM style wave for being let out of a junction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

All I can say is I'm a woman and the only time in my life I didn't flash the emergency lights when someone let me in is in my first two weeks of driving and I didn't know what it meant when people did that. I knew after that, I always do it, and I always let people in unless they've been bootin it up the buslane past loads of traffic only to expect to be let in at the top.

I'd like to ask the OP what he thinks about the whole thing of young men generally getting higher insurance than young women, it must be great making a sweeping generalisation after one or two incidents that have annoyed you recently but I'm sure you hate the sweeping generalisation that as a young male you must be a little boy racer.

Leeby wrote:
    I'd like to ask the OP what he thinks about the whole thing of young men generally getting higher insurance than young women, it must be great making a sweeping generalisation after one or two incidents that have annoyed you recently but I'm sure you hate the sweeping generalisation that as a young male you must be a little boy racer.
    I'm inclined towards agreeing with this sweeping generalisation too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Mustangs wrote:
    I usually apply a 'first to the junction' type rule to my driving. Heard it first over in the U.S and it just kind of stuck with me since.

If there is a car at the same junction as me who arrived at it before I did then I will do what I can to let them through depending on the situation of course.

I agree with whats been said above about stopping a line of traffic to let out a car waiting to turn right coming the other way, it should not be done. I don't however have a problem with slowing down by say 10km and allowing a sufficient gap to appear between the car in front of yours so that the car you have seen waiting to turn can slip in between, if they want to wait then it is up to them. I will do this from time to time if I see a car that has been waiting a while to make a turn.

@astrofool, lifting 2 fingers from your steering wheel is hardly losing control of your vehicle. I have yet to see anybody giving a Soccer AM style wave for being let out of a junction!

Coming from the man who bangs through Roundabouts at 50mph ;) How the man gave you a licence is beyond me hehehe

Drove a truck for some years and the things I have seen from both sexes including myself ;). I have had women cut me off young lads cut me off old people cut me off you name its happened all prefering to dice with a truck. I find the most courteous to each other are fellow truck and van drivers still drive a van now and fellow trucks and vans will always give way or let me in and I always return the favour. My nature im always a courtoues driver but only when the situation suits there are right and wrong times to get that happy good deed feeling. That thing of stoping to allow someone turn right thats plain idiocy.

Leeby wrote:

Insurance is calculated based on the cost of claims. Men generally have more expensive accidents than women.

I have 1 claim on my policy, as does my dad, and two of my friends. All of these claims were actually accidents while our respective wives were driving our cars. The claim still goes on our record as we are 'the insured'.

So, although you are correct to hit back at the OP for his sweeping generalisation, I just wanted to clear that up a bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Tweaky wrote:

As someone who comes from Wexford, most rental cars in Rosslare etc are D reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Leeby wrote:

What is there to think about now exactly? I work for a large insurance company and I know premiums are statistically based. I think that most young male drivers are largely liabilities and I think 99% of boy racer mobiles are vulger. Infact, if I had my way I'd have their cars crushed on principles of taste alone.

My argument is not one of a genders ability to control their veihical, it is simply one of mannors. I've been driving on a full license for 13yrs now and my opionion is based on driving over that period of time. I think women can be sufficiently competent drivers but I do believe that alot of you are selfish and obstenate drivers.

Edit - sorry, just one more thing on 'sweeping generalisations'. This always annoys me. A generalisation can be correct aswell as being incorrect. Just because a 'generalisation' has been made does not necessarily mean it is incorrect, as many seem to think.

shakenbake wrote:
    Edit - sorry, just one more thing on 'sweeping generalisations'. This always annoys me. A generalisation can be correct aswell as being incorrect. Just because a 'generalisation' has been made does not necessarily mean it is incorrect, as many seem to think.
    Generalisations are a bad thing in principle, even ones which are correct most of the time. When driving, however, I find them to be a necessary evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

A bad thing in principle? Not at all. Most people voted FF, rather than FG in the last election. That is a generalisation. A correct one. Why is that bad? (jokes aside :) )

shakenbake wrote:
    A bad thing in principle? Not at all. Most people voted FF, rather than FG in the last election. That is a generalisation. A correct one. Why is that bad? (jokes aside :) )
    That's not a generalisation, that's a fact.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interesting thread, anecdotally I would agree with the OP, but this morning a man driving a volvo on the M50 wouldn't let me join (traffic crawling due to rubber neckers), but the guy behind him did. Then a women driver was up my h*le as I sat in a line of traffic doing 50 on a 50km/h road.

+1 the lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

agree with the op largely! where I live I have to hold up traffic until someone lets me in, and its almost always a man, this reminds me SOMETIMEs when its a female driver that for whatever reason wants to let you out, its almost dangerous, some have let me out of an estate when they are on the main road and indicating to turn in (they signal for me to go) and another time stopping dead in a roundabout when they had right of way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Anan1 wrote:
    This is an interesting one. To turn in to where I live, I generally have to make a right turn on a busy road. I have a small turn right lane, in which I sit waiting for a gap in the traffic. I am constantly surprised by the number of oncoming drivers who slow to a stop, bringing all the traffic behind them to a halt, to let me cross. These people are quite frankly too selfish/stupid to be driving, and the last thing i'd do is further encourage them by thanking them.

I assumed this was tongue in cheek but it seems not.
    It's ironic that you choose to label other people as too selfish/stupid to be driving.

Advertisement