Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women .... what's your problem??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

DeepBlue wrote:
    I assumed this was tongue in cheek but it seems not.
    It's ironic that you choose to label other people as too selfish/stupid to be driving.
    I'm afraid i'm not with you. Perhaps you could explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I always let people out if I can. However sometimes it isn't safe to do so and so I don't.
    Other females drivers let me out too, as do males.

I do have to say though, I am more worried about the amount of 4 something male drivers, in mid life crisis cars. They zoom in and out of lanes on the motorway. Every day I encounter at least one, cutting me off, forcing me to break (on a bloody motorway!) without ever so much as indicating their intention, nevermind considering the available space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm afraid i'm not with you. Perhaps you could explain?
    It's hardly necessary.

To state:
    Considerate driver = a driver that's too selfish and stupid to be allowed drive

is so obviously, inherently ludicrous that there's hardly any need for debate.

DeepBlue wrote:
    It's hardly necessary.

To state:

You might explain to us how unnecessarily bringing an entire stream of traffic on a main road to a standstill could be termed 'considerate'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

DeepBlue wrote:
    It's hardly necessary.

To state:

Did you even read his post? He described a scenario where so called "considerate" driving inconvenienced many more people than it convenienced. This sort of driving is indeed stupid, not sure if i'd call it selfish but it shows a lack of consideration and a lack of awareness.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    Did you even read his post? He described a scenario where so called "considerate" driving inconvenienced many more people than it convenienced. This sort of driving is indeed stupid, not sure if i'd call it selfish but it shows a lack of consideration and a lack of awareness.

It's very simple. The consideration shown by the drivers allows those trying to pull out the opportunity to do so safely and that safety trumps your need to not be "inconvenienced".

Besides, in Dublin traffic all it actually means is that you get to the next backlog/traffic light/roundabout 20 seconds later than you would otherwise have.

DeepBlue wrote:
    It's very simple. The consideration shown by the drivers allows those trying to pull out the opportunity to do so safely and that safety trumps your need to not be "inconvenienced".
    You need to read my post again, nice & slowly this time. I am the one waiting to turn right. The drivers who needlessly stop to allow me to turn right are inconveniencing the drivers behind them. Is that simple enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

DeepBlue wrote:

Besides, in Dublin traffic all it actually means is that you get to the next backlog/traffic light/roundabout 20 seconds later than you would otherwise have.

I think his point was that the drivers determination to be considerate, with no respect to the safety of other road users was a sign of bad driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Volvoboy wrote:
    personally i think women are more safe drivers than us men, but we can parallel park!:p -VB-

I just don't have the spacial awareness!!!! I physically can't do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

I'm a female driver and I agree with the OP and I have noticed that a lot of female drivers, won't give you an inch. I find the majority of male drivers are usually quite understanding and accommodating. Though I have to say, I would lump taxi drivers and white van drivers under the same discourteous heading as female drivers!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dnClar

Not all women are discourteous, just as not all men are. I let people out all the time as long as they are not thinking they own the road in the first place by shoving out.
    Oh and WOMEN CAN PARALLEL PARK.
    Not all of them but not all men can either...

Anan1 wrote:
    You need to read my post again, nice & slowly this time. I am the one waiting to turn right. The drivers who needlessly stop to allow me to turn right are inconveniencing the drivers behind them. Is that simple enough for you?

I understand your need to inject heavy sarcasm into your post. From your point of view it is certainly preferable to do that rather than attempt to justify your argument with a rational debate because if one applies rational thought then your position falls to pieces.

You're argument is stupid; I'd say it's moronic but I don't want to go down the path of attacking the poster rather than the post.

Considerate driving causes less stress for the overall driving population and allows many drivers to complete manoeuvres that would otherwise be dangerous in a safe manner.

How about putting forward a reasoned argument that considerate drivers are selfish and too stupid to be allowed drive? It should be easy if you're so convinced it's true.
    I wouldn't use "inconvenience" as the main plank of your argument though - traffic lights, roundabouts, having to stick to one side of the road are all inconvenient so should we get rid of those too?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

I have been working in the same place for the past 6 years. Everyday I pull out onto a busy road that is usually stopped traffic. If the next car in the queue was a women, I'd say 30% would let me out, if a man, I'd say it was 70%. Just my observation.

DeepBlue wrote:
    I understand your need to inject heavy sarcasm into your post. From your point of view it is certainly preferable to do that rather than attempt to justify your argument with a rational debate because if one applies rational thought then your position falls to pieces.

You're argument is stupid; I'd say it's moronic but I don't want to go down the path of attacking the poster rather than the post.

Considerate driving causes less stress for the overall driving population and allows many drivers to complete manoeuvres that would otherwise be dangerous in a safe manner.

How about putting forward a reasoned argument that considerate drivers are selfish and too stupid to be allowed drive? It should be easy if you're so convinced it's true.
    I wouldn't use "inconvenience" as the main plank of your argument though - traffic lights, roundabouts, having to stick to one side of the road are all inconvenient so should we get rid of those too?
    I ask you again - How is bringing an entire stream of traffic on a main road to a halt in order to allow me to cross a few seconds earlier considerate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Anan1 wrote:
    I ask you again - How is bringing an entire stream of traffic on a main road to a halt in order to allow me to cross a few seconds earlier considerate?

At very low speeds it is considerate, at higher speeds in can be down right dangerous. Is this what you're getting at?

maoleary wrote:
    At very low speeds it is considerate, at higher speeds in can be down right dangerous. Is this what you're getting at?
    It's never considerate. Picture this - I'm quite happy in my turn-right lane, blocking nobody, waiting for a gap in the stream of oncoming traffic. Next thing some fool decides to stop on the main road to let me cross, thus bringing all the cars behind them to a halt too. How could this be anything but inconsiderate or stupid?

Anan1 wrote:
    How could this be anything but inconsiderate or stupid?
    Easy - because it's not.

DeepBlue wrote:
    Easy - because it's not.
    Just so we're quite clear here - you believe that it's not inconsiderate to stop on a main road to allow an oncoming car to turn right even when the oncoming car is not obstructing its own carriageway and when your stopping will force several cars behind you to stop also? (I'm trying not to laugh here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

shakenbake wrote:
    Seriously, yous are the most uncourteous road users I've ever encountered. You are consistently stingy, mean and almost venemous to other road users. You gaurd the space infront of you like it's your gateway to heaven and have seemingly no generousity for other (male?) drivers.

I personally like to think of myself as a courteous female driver. The only time I don't let people out in front of me is depending on the traffic light circumstance-ie, if I am waiting for ages for the lights to turn green for a few seconds, I would prefer to catch the lights, rather than wait for the person to understand my gestures and take heed, because by that time, the lights are gone again. Other than that, I always let people out if I can.
    I do agree that a high number of women, usually over 35-40 are discourteous, as are nearly every man over 55-60. (almost every man with grey/white/silver hair)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Anan1 wrote:
    That's not a generalisation, that's a fact.

I think you'll find it's both.

• Advertisement

shakenbake wrote:
    I think you'll find it's both.
    Fair enough. In this case, however, I think you'll agree that we are dealing with unproven generalisations.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

i agree... i hate other women drivers.. especially with their parking

was in blanchardstown last night.... seen a nigerian woman loading her shopping in to her people carrier .... she had parked beside an o2 Jag (dont know model)...

she had parked so close on top of it that the driver would not of been able to fit a finger in the door.. i felt like snappin :mad:

idiot

Anan1 wrote:
    Just so we're quite clear here - you believe that it's not inconsiderate to stop on a main road to allow an oncoming car to turn right even when the oncoming car is not obstructing its own carriageway and when your stopping will force several cars behind you to stop also? (I'm trying not to laugh here)

Don't hold back - one should always take the opportunity to laugh.

However you made a direct statement:
    Anan1 wrote:
    These people are quite frankly too selfish/stupid to be driving

You declined to add a reasoned argument when asked.
    DeepBlue wrote:

You base your argument on one instance of you being happy to wait to turn right.

Tbh I'm not interested in trading smart comments or idtiotic statements. Ideally one should be able to put forward a position or argument and support it with some kind of reasoned back up arguments.

If you could have demonstrated that overall considerate driving was somehow more dangerous than not driving considerately then it might have been interesting but since you can't then I'm not sure why you bothered putting forward the position in the first place :confused: .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There are plenty of instances when 'considerate' driving is dangerous. I get people yielding to me at junctions where they have right of way (on a quiet road). This causes a problem because the person clearly doesn't know how to drive so they have to be treated as such. You have to expect them to be unpredictable. If they had just continued about their business then they would be gone and I could negotiate the junction. Instead I have this unpredicatble plank in front of me that I have to worry about and see/drive around.

I would agree with Anan1 if he was talking about fast moving traffic, he hasn't made the distinction though. I think in slow moving traffic it is OK to slow down and create a gap or to stop. The problem with slowing down to create a gap is that most planks on our roads won't actually move until you are fully stopped even if there is a huge gap. They probably think they're 'safe' drivers.;) :)

Anan1 wrote:

At v low speed (heavy traffic) it is FINE!!!!
    At higher speeds, (>25 mph) no.

DeepBlue wrote:
    tbh I'm not interested in trading smart comments or idtiotic statements. Ideally one should be able to put forward a position or argument and support it with some kind of reasoned back up arguments.

If you could have demonstrated that overall considerate driving was somehow more dangerous than not driving considerately then it might have been interesting but since you can't then I'm not sure why you bothered putting forward the position in the first place :confused: .

Agreed. Anan has some issues to deal with before he continues his argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

msdurden wrote:
    seen a nigerian woman

And you know this how? Did you go up to her and enquire about her nationality?
    And would you have 'felt like snappin' if it hadn't been a Jag? :rolleyes:

Ok, i'll spell this out. I am all for driving with consideration for other road users. The drivers who stop to let me out in the aforementioned situation are not being considerate to the cars behind them. I honestly don't know where you got the idea that they were.

maloleary - The example I quoted is the Monkstown Road, traffic flowing at 50-60km/h. Stop-start traffic is, of course, a different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

"Considerate" driving can often cause annoyance, congestion. confusion, promote lazy driving and contribute to crashes. I have seen crashes which would not have happened had drivers just driven according to the Rules of the Road and not tried to make up their own "Courtesy rules".

I started a thread on this misplaced courtesy and here it is.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055007771

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Mexicola wrote:
    And you know this how? Did you go up to her and enquire about her nationality?
    And would you have 'felt like snappin' if it hadn't been a Jag? :rolleyes:
    Well maybe she was from South Africa, but since there are a large porportion of Nigerian people in Ireland it was highly propable she was nigerian. The PC brigade strikes again!:rolleyes:

Advertisement