Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't get any a place at GMIT

Options
  • 20-08-2007 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm a German guy who wanted to study bachelor of science in business computing and digital media at the GMIT in Galway. Today I got the letter from the CAO that I was only accepted in Blanchardstown for courses I don't really wanna do:

screenshotku3.th.jpg

Here you see that I got a score for the courses at the institute of technology in Blanchardstown but not even a score from the GMIT?? Also because the needed score for bachelor of science in business computing and digital media is only 200 and I got 465.

Does anybody know what's going on here?
    I would appreciate any help because I would really like to stay here in Galway.

Felix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KarmaCreep

That's pretty strange. You should send both CAO and GMIT an email enquiring about it. I'm not really sure what's the story with that but sure what harm can an email do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Something's gone awry I think. Email them or call them asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Give us a breakdown of your results. It is possible that there were minimum requirements for GMIT that you didn't meet (e.g. a minimum of a D3 in Ordinary Irish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

Well. I didn't have irish in Germany but I had only marks of B and C in the German leaving certificate.

btw: I wrote emails to the GMIT and CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

did u have IT as your first choice? the galway course?

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote:
    did u have IT as your first choice? the galway course?

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

only thing i can think of is that they require irish , did u get exemption from irish ? you should ring cao and/or the college first thing tomorow morning

balu wrote:
    Well. I didn't have irish in Germany but I had only grades of B and C in the German leaving certificate.

I wrote emails to the GMIT and CAO by the way.
    Oh, so you have a German high school diploma? Did you take maths and English?
    Pass (Grade D3 or better) in five (5) Leaving Certificate subjects including Mathematics and English or Irish with a minimum of 140 points.
    I know it applies for the Irish Leaving Cert, maybe the basic requirement applies to foreign applications?

Placebo wrote:
    only thing i can think of is that they require irish , did u get exemption from irish ? you should ring cao and/or the college first thing tomorow morning
    English OR Irish is required for his course.

Oh, so you have a German high school diploma? Did you take maths and English?

Yeah I did.
    I know it applies for the Irish Leaving Cert, maybe the basic requirement applies to foreign applications?

They have a system to calculate my German grades into your Irish. But I really should have enough points then. I'm already living in Galway and made some friends, so it would be really crap to move away again. Also this course is perfect for me!

I will be in London from tomorrow to thursday (Soccer: England - Germany :) ) . So if they won't reply untill then I will go first to the GMIT and then CAO here in Galway on friday.

Felix

• Advertisement

Interesting. The only thing that could possibly be out of line is that maybe they don't view your English qualification as being high enough?

Let us know how you get on, this is certainly the first time I've heard of the CAO making a mistake with allocating a course.

Interesting. The only thing that could possibly be out of line is that maybe they don't view your English qualification as being high enough?

Toefl is not needed... so... anyway. I will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You know if you did not meet the course requirements if there is a '*' listed where your points should be. The OP has no such astericks!

If you don't get a reply by e-mail in the next 24 hours ring them. Chances are you'll get a quicker response.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

I just went to the admissions office.

They told me that they will take decisions about international applicants due to the amount of Irish applicants in the second round. So I still could get a place!

Do you think I should get it with my score?

Advertisement