Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S939 Rig Upgrade

Options
  • 20-08-2007 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

Folks, I'm currently thinking of upgrading my existing rig by changing out the CPU and adding another 7800GTX and perhaps some more memory.

My current build is an AMD FX-53, Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe, 1GB OCZ PC4000 RAM and an XFX 7800GTX. Basically I want to swtich over to a Dual Core CPU and add another 7800GTX given the price they're going for second hand.

My question is, what CPU should I go for, an AMD 4800+ or an Opteron? I have a Zalman 7700 cooling my cpu at the moment so whichever I get I'll probably overclock it abit. I also have no qualms about picking up one second hand.

One other stipulation is that it doesn't actually have to last that long, probably till around January by which time I'll hopefully be doing a full system rebuild when Barcelona should be out and giving Conroe a run for its money and the new 9800GTX is at a "reasonable" price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Whichever is cheapest the 4800+ has a 2.4Ghz clock same as the Opteron 180 doesn't it. The Opteron has more L2 cache which will help a little bit but not worth paying a premium for.

As for the 7800GTX well any old one you can get second hand will work in SLI but don't pay too much certainly no where near an amount that combined with selling your current card could net an 8800GTS at €260.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hrm, I've been trying to find benches of the 7800GTX SLi versus the 8800GTS but no luck so far. That said, selling my current 7800GTX and putting the second's money together would net me a 320MB version of the 8800GTS, sure that would be an improvement?

A single 8800GTS would be an improvement over SLI 7800GTX & thats from experience as I went from SLI 7800GTX to a ATI 2900XT and it really is quite different (the 2900XT is on par with the GTS).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Joeface

kinda in the same boat .. AMD 939 SKT motherboard , and low funds
    was going to go from the 3800x2 to a 4200x2 , Any ideas on whether or not this is worthwhile venture in the short term for €70 odd euro.

A 3800+ X2 to a 4200 X2 probably not you would be just as well of buying a good cooler and overclocking the 3800+ to a higher speed or spend the money on RAM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I currently have a friends 3800+ running at 2.5ghz. And the temps are yet to break 35c under stress. You should easilly be able to get 2.6 or more out of it will good cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Right, seems the 8800GTS 320MB is the one I'm going for.

Now, next question regarding the RAM. I currently have a pair of 512MB OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Dual Channel Gold sticks. Now in terms of what I can supplement these with I'm not sure, epecially given that it seems rather difficult to find anything but PC3200 online. I have seen some PC4400 though, if I was to add that in would the newer RAM run at the same speed as the older stuff or how is it limited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep the ram would run at exactally the same speed, but it means you could overclock a bit better. As the cpu and ram are linked. I have found good 3200 will overclock just as well as expensive 4400.

Advertisement