Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UV Water Purification systems - Any good and cost ?

Options
  • 20-08-2007 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My Dad asked me about UV Water Purification systems, and if they're any good.

I don't have a clue and I'm googling it, but do any of you have any experience/knowledge of them ?

Also, has anyone any ideas of prices, he was quoted €450 for one that he would have to install himself (or pay someone to do it) on the main water line to the house.

Anyhow, and advice/recommendations would be great !

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

no dierect knowledge of ur query
    Have seen prices of 900 quoted for ones on recycled rainwater systems.

a few points:
    if water is not 100% clear, they dont work properly.
    The flow rate across the UV light is important, if ur flow rate is less than or equal to what it is rated for then okay, if not then u need to reduce the flow rate to match.

The unit, IMO, must 'beep' or something when the bulb goes because u will only look at it once to check:eek:
    I have one on the water featuere and I have no idea if the bulb is working or not

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I take it that this is to go on the domestic supply of water? not well/ rainwater or other sources?
    You need to decide how much water you need to treat with UV light, by this I mean if you are really worried about crypto, or something similar you will more than likely decide to put a bigger UV tube in the system to do whole-of house treatment.
    If on the other hand it is just for the occasional glass of water an underbench unit will probably suffice and be quite a lot cheaper both in initial price and in running costs.
    I have looked at the sterilight systems and for my whole house I would look at the SQ-8PA which allows flows rates of 12 GPM (US).
    I have found prices here in Ireland and the UK to be somewhat on the high side for most of these systems and it is no problem to get one from the US with the correct voltage ballast.
    You will also need a prefilter such as the popular 10" type which are good practice to fit anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I have one on a Water Feature and I have no idea if the bulb is working or not

For many years I've used a 55watt unit from TMC ..... the hosetails on the unit illumunate blue at night to indicate bulb operating correctly .... I always thought that a nice feature .... :)

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/pond/pro-clear-advantage.asp

Advertisement