Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

e65 questions from a smartphone virgin

• 20-08-2007 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

Up to now I've been using a bog-standard nokia 6230 to make and receive calls, but I'm thinking I need a bit extra now for work - specifically email capabilities. Web access would be nice, but not essential.

I need a good phone for heavy use and I like the look of the nokia e65. A couple of questions though:

Does anyone know if vodafone disable wi-fi or voip capabilities? And if so, is ot possible to restore the original settings?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Not sure what VOdafone have or haven't done, I've got the O2 version. You can always flash it with generic firmware anyway.

My experiences are that the battery life is roughly a day using 3G and wifi to check emails on an ongoing basis. The wifi doesn't work very well (google "e65 no gateway reply") with Apple wifi points, but works great with my home 3com one.

The handset also has Edge .. so you've got plenty of redundancy - wifi/3g/edge/gprs :)

The browsers pretty good at loading webpages (I can get AIB online banking, paypal, Sky news, etc on it and they load fine.

The phone feels nice to use and is pretty slimline as recent phones go :)

Here's an online review: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e65-review-140.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I get about 2 days out of mine and I use it for email (though through ISP rather than WiFi) and I make about 2 hours of calls a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 damianob

Thanks for the info.

I was planning to use blackberry connect for the emails - is there an advantage to doing it through wifi?

ciaranfo - I'm a mac user and my home/office wi-fi is on an apple airport - do you think that could be a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've only tried with one AP Express ... but yes, I believe you'll have problems with the Nokia wifi and AP. Have a google. Some people have had mixed success putting settings in manually and removing all security settings off their wifi network. Seems a bit iffy though.

From what I read this is a bug that affects all Nokia wifi phones - though I stand to be corrected.

My experience with BB Connect isn't very positive so far. I found it a lot smoother on my e50. It seems to cause the device to crash if the BB happens to be checking while browsing. I've seen this on 2 devices, not sure if there's a known workaround or if it was just the sw version I was using though.

Also, if you use BB Connect you won't be able to check the emails via wifi without setting up a separate mailbox for wifi checking. BB only works over the phone network.

Do I sound like I'm complaining? I do like the phone and the browser and can see myself using it for a couple weeks yet anyway :)

I knew the more questions I asked the more confused I'd get ;)

So are you just using wi-fi to check the email then? What's the advantage (apart from saving on the BB fee) to using wi-fi?

And I suppose the most important question - would you recommend the e65?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I use wi-fi for VoiP mainly. It's handy to have and saves on data costs, but I doubt you'll be using it extensively as we have ****e wi-fi coverage in Ireland, well, Limerick anyways.

I definitely recommend it.

Well I went for it and got my e65 yesterday (on vodafone)

The wi-fi works fine (although they didn't know anything about it in the shop) and there's been no problems with my airport extreme network.

Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

hey all, decided like damianob to take teh plunge and ge this phone, one problem i'm having is finding softaware, didn't realise at the time that iys sybian s60 3rd version, so it won't work with any 1st or 2nd version anyone got anysites, all i can find is translators at themin

Advertisement